Where's best for Cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdTravels

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all,

I've had a dig through some old posts on the subject but would like some different information.

Heading down Mexico way in a month and want to dive mainly in the cenotes. Where is the best place to base oneself, PDC or Akumal? Not planning on staying there long but will probably want to do a couple of sea dives as well.
Is there much in the way of half decent budget accomodation?
While I'm at it recomendations for Schools would be appreciated, although I have a few penned already.

Many thanks

Ad

I haven't been there YET, as my first trip will be in mid August, but I have done a lot of research on the area.

Akumal is right in the middle of quite a few cenotes. I still have yet to hear a bad word said about it. It's still small, NO CRUISE SHIPS and the people are great! It's also great on the budget! (We're renting a three bedroom, ocean front house with a roof top observatory ans several other really unusual features for only $1000.00 for 8 nights!!!) Prices to run the gammut, but you can find some fabulous places that are easy on the pocketbook. Tulum would also be a great place if you're like us and want to skip the crowds.

If you're back before August 16th- POST A REPORT! (Pretty please!) I'd love to know more of what to expect before we go. If you're going after the 25th- I'll post a report of our trip.

Happy diving!-

Kristey

I haven't finalised my leaving date yet, but it will be around the 16th so I doubt I'll have a report ready.

I've also at Tulum - Looks nice.

I hope you have a great time.

Ad

I do believe Villas deRosa probably has the best total package deals - all meals, diving & excellent accomodations. Also any training you might need or want. Cenote diving is what they do... they'll also take you ocean diving.
Highly recommended.
Their website is www.cenotes.com
Rick

Already looked at these people. Unfortunately they don't quite fall into my category of budget.

Thanks

Ad

I have stayed in Playa several times and visited Akumal several times, but never stayed there. As far as accomodations go I think you can run the gammut of price and quality in either place.

My two cents would be to consider what you want to do with your time. If you want quiet away from crowds and ocean diving is truly secondary to your cenote diving I think Akumal is probably the way to go for you. If you want to hit the cenotes a few times but think you may want to do most of your diving in the ocean then Playa will be much easier for you. Playa can get very alive at night, but you can really limit how much you are exposed to it if you wish. When we stay there there are nights you just want quiet, and we have never had any trouble finding a place to eat or hang out that was quiet and away from the crowds.

Also, someone above did post a good point about Akumal not hosting cruise ships. I don't feel that Playa gets plummaged by cruise ship patrons though. When a ship comes in the dock area and tourist trap shops within the first two or three blocks get very busy and crowded for the afternoon, but are back on the boat by dinner time. Usually we only see the crowds as we are either departing or returning from diving at our favorite shop that happens to be right by the dock. Once we walk or taxi a couple of blocks back north the crowd dissipates.

I personally love Playa, but want to make it clear that Akumal is much quieter and more tranquil than Playa by far. If you are looking to kind of get away from it all you may be better to steer clear of Playa as well.

whatever you do, have fun!

If your looking for a budget place you should check out Acamaya Reef Motel. They have cabanas & also camping. The cabanas have either a shared bathroom or private baths. Depending on what you want to spend. I have not stayed here, but saw it on Travelocity & thought it looked pretty cool. I wanted to camp but my boyfriend is not as adventureous as me.:D

Back
Top Bottom