Where's "The Grimace" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Past the tubes and just follow the road down and around? where does one find this elusive creature ?

I'm going to be at Gilboa this Friday from (roughly) 10:00am-2:00pm if anyone (Dennis) wants to give me an my buddy (Wolver) the guided tour...

Past the tubes and just follow the road down and around? where does one find this elusive creature ?

I'm going to be at Gilboa this Friday from (roughly) 10:00am-2:00pm if anyone (Dennis) wants to give me an my buddy (Wolver) the guided tour...

Make sure Denny files a deep dive plan!

Greetings PvtStash as you have been briefed you will find him down the road in approximately 90 or so feet. I would have to look at my log book to be sure.

I would still file a deep dive plan I have been told any dive over 60ft but that is being very conservative and proactive when it comes to putting Mike at ease.
I personally do just to do just that, I fill out profiles and most of the time end up never going to the max planned depth anyway.
I realize I am a paranoid fellow but I would rather file a plan and not beg forgiveness if and when it comes back to haunt you.

I have wanted to go see him that last several times I have dove there but have missed him due to dive time and buddy issues.
I am ready for some long deep dives in the fall.
Have fun and safe diving!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

yeah but thats only if you go over the wall... following the road down is ok right? :wink:

Hey Pvt, Anything over 60' is considered a deep dive and you must file a plan with Mike. The south side of the tubes is 60' (61 on the bottom). Keep heading south and the it gets deeper from there---of course, you already know that! The Grimace is in about 92'. Stick to the incline on your left and you should run into him. If you get into the flats and run into the condenser bottle, head east and you should run into him. I'm frantically trying to get my act together for the upcoming Toby trip.

PS DON'T MOVE MY MERMAIDS AND WELCOME FROG FROM THE TUBES!!! A lifelong curse will be placed on you and your descendants.

Well we didnt see the Grimace..., since we werent sure where it was exactly (and didnt want to Search at depth for him) we dove off the Deep Dock (which was Real nice and uncrowded btw)... originally to find the trailer (which we didnt find)... found some circular drain pipe, a small boat, and the deep platform that sits on the bottom at 125' or so...

8 minutes to get down (lil' stop at the 70' platform) 4-5min on the bottom, 8 min. comin' up...

but our Second dive... on the usual side... after seeing pretty much Everything (vis was pretty bad, at times 3'!) we were heading WNW following the dropoff edge at about 35' and I happened to glance to my right out over the abyss and There It Was!!!

The Paddlefish!! Of which previously I had only seen pics and some video!! was there , maybe 30' from us or so... had its mouth open...

So... no Grimace... (we'll catch him at the Fall MnG)... but seeing the Paddlefish and getting the go-ahead to dive off the deep dock totally made up for it.

Great Day o Diving :)

50 degrees at the tubes btw... Cold, I'm divin' a 3 mil shorty at Whitestar but Portage and Gilboa = Cold.

You will need to file a deep plan first as previously stated. Swim to the tubes and then start down the road. When you reach a depth of 88-90 feet depending on your computer you will need to make a hard left as the grimace head is off the road by about 15-20 feet. Most will swim by it because they were told to follow the road down and you will run right into him. You need to go left, not politically because that is what is ruining this country, but you will need to turn left. Turning left won't hurt you as badly as voting left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom