WhiBal card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For those who shoot RAW, have you ever used a WhiBal card for white balance?

In the lakes I use mine all the time. Haven't really tried it in the ocean...When the water is murky really seems to help.

Thanks for asking the question! My G10 recommends it for underwater. I haven't done it, yet.

Definitely not. The advantage of shooting RAW is that white balance correction is made post processing, non-destructive editing. White balances changes about every two feet, and using a grey slate is not practical.

Good Luck!

Dan

Definitely not. The advantage of shooting RAW is that white balance correction is made post processing, non-destructive editing. White balances changes about every two feet, and using a grey slate is not practical.

Good Luck!

Dan

So what's the matter with shooting a WhiBal shot and then shooting your scene?

Nothing..it is a little more to do underwater though....

If you use photoshop or lightroom you can adjust all your wb in post. No reason you shouldn't be able to jazz up your colors and make images pop.

T

I use a dive slate. Focus on the lanyard hole, shoot, set white balance. Works great for ambient light shots, and for video. It helps A LOT, even with shooting RAW, as images will require less editing. If you are less than a Photoshop god, you may want to take the extra effort if shooting without a strobe, or shooting video.

32.gif

I used a white card for years with my Oly C4000Z camera. It was the only way to get a good non-strobe photo with that camera.

I now have a G10 and finally became a RAW convert.

IMHO there is no need to calibrate white balance when shooting RAW as that is easily done in post processing. One of, if not the biggest advantage to RAW over JPG is the WB correction capability. I quit carrying my white card underwater. I set the G10's WB to the "underwater" selection for non-strobe shots just because you have to pick something. The RAW mode also gives you more color choices with the strobe shots as well.

I prefer the Canon DPP software over PS with the RAW plugin for the WB portion of the processing. I do the balance of my editing in PS.

It took me awhile but I am convinced RAW is the way to go and is worth the extra post processing efforts. Using the eyedropper tool for WB in Canon DPP (or PS) is very easy to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom