Which 3 lenses for a D200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you were setting up for U/W photography with a D200 and could pick 3 lenses, what would you pick, and why. Asking irrespective of housing, assume you could house and port the lenses you wanted.

In order of purchase this is what I did. 60mm macro, 12-24 wide angle and then 105 macro. I have two other topside lenses as well 70 - 300 and my favourite 24 - 120.

The 60 is a good all purpose lens under water. Most fish and most macro. 12 - 24 for wide angle work. I am sure that there are other lenses but this works for me. 105 for shy macro - you can get the macro shot without being as close as the 60.

The 60 and the 105 are no brainers. I have the Nikon 12-24 and for the money it is not a great underwater lens (even if it is quite versatile). The Tokina 10-17 Fisheye zoom appears to be the latest hot ticket. I myself have the 16mm and 10.5 Nikon Fisheyes in addition to the 12-24 (which is a great topside lens).

In order of purchase this is what I did. 60mm macro, 12-24 wide angle and then 105 macro. I have two other topside lenses as well 70 - 300 and my favourite 24 - 120.

The 60 is a good all purpose lens under water. Most fish and most macro. 12 - 24 for wide angle work. I am sure that there are other lenses but this works for me. 105 for shy macro - you can get the macro shot without being as close as the 60.

I really like the 60mm...and the 18-55mm lens (that came w/ my D80 kit) has also been impressive. I just received the 10.5 fisheye from 'Ol Saint Nick and if this lens is anywhere near as fun UW as it has been topside...

60mm and 105VR, no-brainers.

For WA, I love my 12-24mm.

Hmmmm.. i would go for a 105mm (more versatile than the 60mm, though I have both), the 10.5mm or Tokina 10-17mm for wide angle fisheye, and a Tamron 17-50mm or equivalent, for the fish and shark shots (when they are shy). I would get both the 60mm and 105mm though, with priority on the 105mm.

VIcky (my wife) shoots the 60mm Nikkor, the 105VR Nikkor and the Tokina 10-17. She shot both my avatar
and profile photos with the 60mm.

Coming back to Hawaii anytime soon?

Owned/Own many of the lenses above. Right now my favs are:

1. Tokina 10-17mm, like others sold my 12-24mm
2. Nikon 17-55mm, great "don't know what we will see lens." A used 17-35mm also a good lens.
3. Nikon 60mm is mandatory for low viz, cold water diving. If you dive in tropical waters or deal with skittish subjects the 105mm is nice to have.

Tokina 10-17mm,

I want that one.

My 12-24 was totaled on a flood but just won't die. It is starting to hunt slowly though.:wink:

I love the 10.5 and the 105 but mostly just because I have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom