Which AA Rechargeable Batteries??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titanite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
With technology being upgraded all the time, can anyone chime in on what is the best (recycle time and capacity) on the market for AA rechargeable batteries. I want to replace my old crappy energizers 2300mAhrs that wont hold a charge for longer than about 6 hrs. If I dont pull them off the charger, put them in the strobe and use them, Im SOL pretty much.

Also, is it worth buying an aftermarket "fancy" charger for ~$50 that has all the bells and whistles for discharge and slow top up etc. I want to use it for travel.

Read a few good reviews for the eneloop style low discharge at ~2000mAhr. Is this enough to shoot lots of shots in 1 dive? Or do I need to be in the 2500+ range and a non low discharge NIMH?

Thank you in advance!
T

T--Bill Van Antwerp (BILLVANT) wrote an excellent test report in UW Photo Guide on the subject, check it out: Batteries put to the test - best batteries for your underwater strobes|Underwater Photography Guide I think you would have a hard time beating Eneloops. As Bill's article makes clear, it ain't all about mAh ratings.

MAHA makes a travel charger that's multi-voltage, works anywhere on the planet and does all the good things your batteries will love. It's model MH-C204W. Small, charges fast, conditions etc. Don't leave home without it! :eyebrow: // ww

I got tired of the "cheap" AA rechargeables and finally broke down and got Power EX and the MAHA Charger.

Pretty much everyone who's done it before and gone MAHA was happy. I don't think I've seen a complaint.

I can't remember exactly which one I've got, but it's one of these two. (the difference is really quick charge (1hr) and regular time I think)

MAHA / POWEREX MH-C800S Eight Cell Smart Charger

or MAHA / POWEREX MH-C801D Eight Cell 1-Hr Charger

MH-C801D.jpg

One of the big benefits of the above chargers is that each cell is independently charged, instead of "bank charged" as a bank of two or a bank of four (at a time) like most chargers do. The problem with "bank chargers" is that if you've got a bad cell (battery) and you're charging it in a 4-bank configuration, then all four of your batteries will come out with a crappy charge.

Because with a 2 or 4 bank charger, you have to swap out cells to figure out which one is bad and charge again, etc. it's a pain in the butt.....

Being on a liveaboard dive trip is not the time to find this out, when you need your camera batteries. That alone is what made me go buy the above.

Eneloops seem to be the most recommended batteries for U/W strobes. Mine will easily last 4 or five dives, don't know for sure as I have never had them die on me in a single day's diving. On my "smart charger", the capacities are very close to the "rated" capacity of 2000mah. My eneloops consistently test at between 1900 and 2000mah. My energizers were all over the place and often half or less the rated capacity. I understand the "low self-discharge" batteries perform so much better than standard NIMHs.

I bought myself a ''smart charger" lacrosse BC-700 and it has shown me how my energizer NIMHs were not matched and were actually way below rated capacity. The charger has a refresh function that cycles poor performing batteries through several discharge/charge cycles. The charger is just a little bigger than the usual basic charger but can charge/discharge/monitor/test/refresh individual cells, display capacity/voltage/charge and discharge rates. Got mine for $29 on amazon. Worth every penny.

My local Costco has a very nice Sanyo Eneloop package for $25. The package contains 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, and a travel charger. Get it. You'll be happy you did.

Eneloops, without a doubt ! However, something to consider; the Apple Re-Chargeable AA's from the Apple store appear to be re-branded Eneloops, and work great too ! Plus they come with a swanky little charger. I use both sets of AA's all the time with no issues with strobes, lights, etc.

As everyone mentioned before, and also my own experience, Eneloop bateries from Sanyo are the best you can get. But take into consideration that precherged-rechargeable batteries can only be used with devices that control the voltage of the batteries. Precharged-rechargeable batteries tend to warm up if discharged beyond a certain limit, and they also generates Hydrogen, which, in a sealed enviroment like an underwater device, could be dangerous if operated in those conditions. That's why precharged-rechargeable batteries are not recommended for torches without digital controller.
If the torch you are mentioning has a digital battery controller, then, go ahead, it's your best choice, otherwise consider using batteries like Energizer Ultimate Lithium or something like that.
This warning is mentioned in the Eneloop Handbook (http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/EDITORS/ENELOOP/PICTURES/OTHER_PICTURES/handbook.pdf), in page 15

In contradiction to the "Eneloop" warning. INON specifically indicates SANYO Eneloop Batteries as their recommended batteries for their strobes and Focusing Lights.

Their specifications on battery charges use the Eneloops as their reference. I have confidence with INON's recommendations and am willing to overlook Sanyo's since Sanyo have to be more wary of a much broader user/application base that have more potential for mis-use.

Having said that, I do make sure I open the S2000 strobe and my LE550W light at the end of the day's diving to at least purge any hydrogen build-up that may have occurred.

Was wondering if there were any U/W strobe, torch, equipment manufacturers that actually warn against the use of re-chargable batteries (any variety) for the same reason.

Thank you very much, seems like the eneloops are the way to go! I am going to be on that liveaboard, and dont want to have any issues!!

I know my Sea and Sea ys-110 says that NIMH are ok. I'll give them a shot!
Cheers!
T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom