Which brand of WA lens for my C5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveborg

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to buy a wet mount WA lens to use with my Olympus housing. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is a better lens, the Ikelite W-20 Wide-Angle or the Inon UWL-100 Wide Angle Conversion Lens.

If there isn't a reason to pick lens over the other, I guess I'll just go with the lower price.

I shoot with a C5050 in a Light and Motion housing. Can't speak for the Ike W-20, but I'm very positive on the UWL-100. It's got good optical characteristics even in the edges of the frame. While I haven't added it due to cost, the UWL-100 also allows the option of adding a dome lens for super wide angle shots. I am now saving my pennies to experiment with this one. I feel the only drawback to either of these lenses besides cost is the weight--I'm worried it's going to rip right out of the threads--but good glass is good glass and it weighs what it weighs, so we'll hope for the best.

Check out this coverage chart on the UWL-100. Was useful for me when I was shopping.

Cameras Underwater: INON UWL-100 coverage chart.

Best of luck!

livewire thanks for the link. After a little more research, I came across Cameras Underwater: C-5050 camera and M67 Wide-Angle Lenses - A comparison which basically said:

In a test between these four M67 wide angle lenses:
Epoque DCL-20.
Inon UWL-100.
Sea & Sea WL 0.56x.
UN PWC-01.​

The Epoque DCL-20 and Inon UWL-100 are practically identical in behaviour, except that the Epoque lens gives slightly greater coverage (and is the cheapest of the bunch). The indications are therefore that there is no great reason to favour one lens over any other (especially if the user intends to carry out radial correction); except on the basis of price or (in the case of the Inon lens) the ability to accept an add-on dome lens in order to achieve super-wide-angle coverage.

My experience has been that the Inon UWL100 lens also has a superior coating on the front port (particularly the accessory dome port).
I have seen plenty of Epoque wide angle lenses that the front coating has deteriorated badly in a short period of time, to the point that the marks show-up in photos, particularly when shot into the sun.

My experience has been that the Inon UWL100 lens also has a superior coating on the front port (particularly the accessory dome port).
I have seen plenty of Epoque wide angle lenses that the front coating has deteriorated badly in a short period of time, to the point that the marks show-up in photos, particularly when shot into the sun.
Thanks for that tidbit. I'd rather spend more and get quality than be penny wise but pound foolish.

My $0.02 - don't buy a UN PWC-01. The coatings come off the lens and the threads are soft metal. Mine is now an expensive paper weight. The Inon is a great WA lens for the 5050.

My $0.02 - don't buy a UN PWC-01. The coatings come off the lens and the threads are soft metal. Mine is now an expensive paper weight. The Inon is a great WA lens for the 5050.

That's good to know because I ended up buying one today.
emot-woot.gif

Now all I need/want is a backup C5050.

Thanks for your link as well, Diveborg. The Pano Tools settings they mention were pretty helpful as well. I'd used Pano Tools a long time ago, but hadn't thought to use it to correct lens distortion. Quick and easy. Was nice that they also had the stats on the Inon Dome Lens. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom