Which comes first? The gear or the certs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say get the gear and get comfortable with it. Everything I have done from snowboarding to waterskiing to motorcycling to name a few was more rewarding when I had my own gear.

Hey I am a college student as well and went to buy all of my gear (except tanks). It is very convenient to own, especially if you enjoy local diving. Though, if there is a club from which you can rent the same, quality gear consistently I think you should continue your training. My first gear set is awesome, but I found quickly that what I own may not be suitable with the type of diving I would like to get into. Not that I wasted money, but if you can rent cheap and good quality hold of on buying gear until you are sure what you want.

Training! ... Diving is the most important thing you can do now and that is where your money should be spent!

Exactly, however I'm not sure you need more training to be diving! :D

I'd get your reg, and then dive. If you can fit some training into your diving at a reasonable cost, then do so. If not, spend your money on diving! :D

You will want AOW, and IMO Rescue in the future. But if it's a choice between doing a nice dive vacation, and taking a bunch of training, I'd dive.

Note: AOW is required for deep wreck diving in FL. That or a $50 cost (which can be split) to hire a DM.

Get your own gear and Dive, Dive, Dive!!! Then worry about classes later when you need them to get on a boat to a wreck or specific dive.

Exactly, however I'm not sure you need more training to be diving! :D

Training will encourage more diving and under "His" circumstances it may be better to us rental or borrowed gear to allow for the expenses of dive boat or gas! Equipment is expensive to maintain and his needs will change!

When renting gear cost up to $50 per day, it gets expensive fast.

Owning your own gear will encourage you to dive more amke it more convenient to dive and allow you to get used to one set up. As others have said, what makes a good diver is bottom time. Your school probably has a dive club to help you hook up with other divers. Your LDS probably has a dive club it sponsors. Check them out.

Don't shoot the moon for top-of-the-line equipment. Buy solid middle of the road pieces. I can guarantee that you won't like everything you buy and you'll probably replace at least one major piece in the first year. Learn to take care of your gear and sell it if you don't like it.

All the classes in the world won't do you much good if you don't dive except in classes.

Think about it. Would a Peak Buoyancy class be worth it REALLY if you didn't have your own exposure suit and BC? You'd learn something, but think how much you'd leaqrn if you were in your own BC and exposure suit!

get the remaining gear, the advance training can wait. As stated before, continue renting can add up.

My wife and I bought all our gear before we even took the OW class so we can be trained in its use. We were the only ones that did so we were taught how to use it correctly in class. Example being that we know how to dump and recover our integrated BC weights rather than a weight belt, etc. Had our solo dive more pleasurable due to our comfort factor. Get the gear and become one with it . ( place loud gong here)

If all you are short is a reg and tanks and you have cheap shore diving nearby its a no brainer. Buy an entry level reg for $250, rent tanks and dive all summer on the cheap. If you want better gear later, you entry level reg makes a good backup or stage. Diving rental gear is a necessary evil sometimes when traveling, it is good to try new stuff, but in the end its an expensive PITA that discourages people from diving often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom