Which condotel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be going to AC on April 25th, for a week. After many hours of doing research and probably getting more confused, we have narrowed our choice of where to stay down to 2. It comes down to Blue Tang Inn or Tradewinds Paradise Villas. They both have what we are looking for, pool, kitchen, air conditioning, and in town. We tried to figure in prices for the dives we want and also air transfers. Total price is very close between the two of them. So now I am looking for advise from people that know anything about these 2 places. Any recommendations would be appreciated

I can't tell you anything about Blue Tang, other than that I believe it has a good reputation. I know several people who stay at Paradise Villas and love it - it isn't far from town and you can walk anywhere from it, yet it has a very quiet and peaceful ambience.

Both are close to several dive centers, though others would pick you up if you asked them.

We've walked by Paradise Villas several times this week. Looks nice and quiet, yet not far from town.

Any belize travelers:

I've been looking at the flights from BZE to San Pedro/AC and noticed that it's rather inexpensive from the municipal airport. Can anyone comment on the hassle/cost trade off from flying from BZE to SP versus from the Muni with a taxi transfer?

Also, my companion is apprehensive about the water taxi service, which I think would be neat; any comments on this would be welcome as well.

thanks in advance

J

Taxis from the international airport have fixed fares and are quite expensive. I think the break-even point (driving to and flying from the municipal) is just over two people, so that with three you're certainly saving and with two it doesn't make a lot of difference. There will be a lot of hassle and lost time though, and I wouldn't do it when only a few dollars are at stake.

The water taxi is fun but takes a long time and even in calm conditions there is a chance of getting splashed. I use the water taxi a lot, but if I have the sort of luggage I'm likely to have for international travel I wouldn't dream of using it.

Take the flight. It's been quite breezy this week, which will make the water taxi seem much longer than it already is....

thank you for your honest and appreciated perspective. After researching for a bit, some people rave about the view on the flight in to the cayes. I'm all for adventure travel, but hassle isn't really included in my view of adventure.

We just got back from Belize yesterday and chose to fly to/from Belize City and San Pedro which turned out to be a fairly efficient and hassel-free experience. We flew Mayan air which was included as part of our hotel package. We also had the opportunity to experience the watertaxi for a day trip to Caye Caulker and while it was not a bad experience I would chose the 20 minute flight rather than an 1+ hour boat ride.

Back
Top Bottom