Which Dive Knife is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it relates to titanium...save your money. It's too expensive and a PITA to sharpen. Great in other applications, but for a knife? Overkill. Titanium is for people that don't want to rinse their gear off after a dive and don't mind spending $90 on a replacement after they lose it.

If you think you can handle removing your knife from its sheath and rinsing it after each dive, then a nice cheap dive knife is just for you. Find one that's made from 304 stainless steel. It's a bit softer, but it's even more opposed to rusting than the common 440 steel. The softer steel means you'll have to sharpen it a little more than 440, but knives need to be sharpened regardless so I don't see it as much of a talking point. My current knife is a of 304 SS and not a spec of rust on it after 51 dives.

Whats the trick to cutting kelp...i am sure "not getting tangled up" is the answer...i meant how do you cut it so you don't end up being a kelp ornament

I would recommend sticking with knife companies who make a dive knife, not dive companies who decide to make a knife.

Spyderco Salt series
Benchmade H2O series
Kershaw Sea Hunter or Amphibian
Sog SEAL series

Or you can buy a $1.50 steak knife. It really depends on the quality you're looking for and what you're looking to spend. I personally like the Benchmade H2O to keep in my pocket pretty much all the time, and it works as a dive knife too.

Whats the trick to cutting kelp...i am sure "not getting tangled up" is the answer...i meant how do you cut it so you don't end up being a kelp ornament

You snap it not cut it.

I like these just incase you want to make an impromptu underwater ninja movie....
sword.jpg

But in reality I echo the Ebay sentiments.....you can find them for as cheap as 5 dollars and if you loose it...you're not trying to chase it down. I carry shears on my BC and a knife in a pocket...really don't plan to use the knife..but it's there just incase. Most things can be resolved using the shears....well maybe except for the occasional ninja sword fight....but those are few and far between.

Line - z knife
everything else - shears

I buy all my knives on eBay exclusively. USED You can get a wide variety of choices from as low as 5 to 25 bucks. not if but when you lose it, easy come easy go. If you ever use your knife you will probably lose it sooner than later.
Eric

Now THAT'S a good idea! I just put a bid on one. Thanks for the smart tip!

+1 (or is it 3?) for shears. Good ones can cut through stainless line, lets see you do that with a knife! Plus the Dive Rite ones are blingy gold! Line cutters are handy too though and small enough you can hide a couple of 'em on your gear.

Don't bother with titanium anything in diving, just dive, rinse and repeat.

And with kelp, you bend it in half and it will snap easily. Pulling on will just make it stretch though.

Chris

Yeah I know, the blingy gold Dive Rite shears are titanium coated... they don't come any other way and the shears themselves are stainless. Do what I say, not what I do! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom