which drysuit boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I am removing my turbosoles on my drysuit and switching over to neoprene socks/boot combination. Looking for advice on which boots are worth looking into. a simple google search yielded a few: Hollis Rock Boot at $89, Aqualung Evo 3 at $130, and Bare trek at $115. Seems Evo 3 is a nice boot but pretty expensive and there are reports that the rubber sole has fallen apart from the boots. Just looking for a decent boot, does not have to break the bank but I will pay more for something if it is truly worth it.

Simple 10$ cloth boots (converse-like) do the trick, unless you are into fairly extreme walks with a drysuit on. Or simple neoprene scuba shoes if you can find them a few sizes larger than your boots.

May I ask what's wrong with turbosoles?

Simple 10$ cloth boots (converse-like) do the trick, unless you are into fairly extreme walks with a drysuit on. Or simple neoprene scuba shoes if you can find them a few sizes larger than your boots.

May I ask what's wrong with turbosoles?
They are fine except the size. I am a size 10.5 shoe and they must be a size 12 or something because they are big. I need 3 pairs of wool socks for them to not be sloppy or dangerous with my foot coming out. I also use a fin keeper. I am pretty handy and decided I'd change out the turbosole to the DRIS neoprene drysuit sock since it is a relatively cheap change.

All,
I am removing my turbosoles on my drysuit and switching over to neoprene socks/boot combination. Looking for advice on which boots are worth looking into. a simple google search yielded a few: Hollis Rock Boot at $89, Aqualung Evo 3 at $130, and Bare trek at $115. Seems Evo 3 is a nice boot but pretty expensive and there are reports that the rubber sole has fallen apart from the boots. Just looking for a decent boot, does not have to break the bank but I will pay more for something if it is truly worth it.
I was looking at similar boots last weekend but got lucky. John at Northeastern Scuba Supply had just got in a bunch of surplus boots that seem to be identical to the Hollis Rock boot. I'd be shocked if they weren't made in the same factory. The heals are marked "DUI", and I picked up a pair for $40. That's not much more than chuck taylors. They are very sturdy, and seem well constructed.

I'm not sure if he's put them on his website yet, but you can just give him a call. His shop is local for me, but John does most of his business mail order anyway.

Northeast Scuba Supply

I have the Evo 3. It's great for walking, but I'll be damned if I can do a frog kick in them, as they don't give you enough ankle flexibility. I went with chuck Taylor's, as they allow lots of ankle flexibility. The bare flexible boot works too.

But the Evo 3 is a great rock boot if you really, really need a rock boot.

go to REI with your new suit booties and the socks you are planning on wearing.
NRS Paddle Wetshoes - Men's - REI.com
dig through those and find the one that fits. It will limit the boots option for expanding with air which is good, and if you are still diving wet, you can use them with neoprene socks and only have one pair of booties and fins.

+1 for Converse - personally, I prefer the high top style as it gives a little extra comfort with the spring strap.

If you're having the TurboSoles removed, have you considered just getting smaller ones installed? I can't imagine it would cost that much more than having a sock put on (considering you'll have to get a leak test and such anyway).
It seems to be a very common issue that DUI oversizes them compared to what would correspond to the size of the drysuit. We were specifically told about this by even with our custom suits.

I have had a number of different types of rock boots over the years. My favorites are the new style from Pinnacle Aquatics. My feet have never been so warm. The boots are secure, but a little looser. Being loose keeps the cold water further away from my feet. I wear half the layers on my feet from previous boots and am much warmer.

I suspect trying them on will limit the choices for you, as it did for me. I've tried to "upgrade" from the original Fusion boot made of cloth to the Evo rock boots, and I realized none of the available rock boot sizes was matching my F1 fins. They are tall and narrow, which doesn't fit well into the foot pocket. I gave up,and frankly a boot made of cloth seems perfectly adequate, I don't need anything more than that.

+1 for Converse - personally, I prefer the high top style as it gives a little extra comfort with the spring strap.

If you're having the TurboSoles removed, have you considered just getting smaller ones installed? I can't imagine it would cost that much more than having a sock put on (considering you'll have to get a leak test and such anyway).
It seems to be a very common issue that DUI oversizes them compared to what would correspond to the size of the drysuit. We were specifically told about this by even with our custom suits.
I am doing the replacement myself and honestly I like the idea of having a more rugged shoe for shore entries than the standard turbo soles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom