which exposure suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supercommando

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'll be in Costa Rica mid-December and after reading some of the threads, got a little confused about the water temperature and which exposure suit to wear. Could anyone tell me what's the average water temperature (in celcius if possible) and the wetsuit I should take with me? Because I'm from South East Asia, I dive with 0.5mm wetsuit as the water's about 27 degrees celcius and up. Please advise and many thanks.

Hi...i've dove in Costa Rica in Dec. and have just worn a skin suit and that has been just good enough for me and i'm one that gets cold very easily. I don't know in celcius the temps. but, i know that the water around that time which is now considered summer there is around 80. so, again a skinsuit is good enough for me. hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the info. I just hate to bring more than I need and overload my luggage.

supercommando:
Hi,
I'll be in Costa Rica mid-December and after reading some of the threads, got a little confused about the water temperature and which exposure suit to wear. Could anyone tell me what's the average water temperature (in celcius if possible) and the wetsuit I should take with me? Because I'm from South East Asia, I dive with 0.5mm wetsuit as the water's about 27 degrees celcius and up. Please advise and many thanks.

You should check with the operators you are going to dive with, if known. Members of my dive club recently returned from diving Costa Rica (Pacific coast). All were diving in 3mm full's. 3mm's were OK to about 30F (10m) and it got pretty cold. some of them got too cold to make a subsequent dive. Check it out!!

Regards,

supercommando:
Hi,

Here's a direct quote from Bill Beards Diving website. They serve the North Paficic region of Costa Rica.

"Some additional information you might find useful. Water temperature from mid-May to mid-December is generally from 75°-78° at depth and a polartec or 3MM suit are usually sufficient. From mid-December to mid-April, water temperatures vary from day to day, with thermoclines causing temperatures to dip to 70° at depth so you will want to bring a full 3MM suit during this period (5 MM if you are easily chilled). The outside temperature at the beaches is 85° to 90° year round."

Thanks so much for all the information. Think I'll just bring my 3mm suit and be done with it. I'm off to the airport now so happy holidays, merry christmas and new year.
Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom