which faber tank to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dreamer17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Neither 100’s are great single and suck in doubles unless you are short. LP85’s are superior

Neither 100’s are great single and suck in doubles unless you are short. LP85’s are superior
Really? The 12.2L /HP100 are pretty much the standard steel cylinder for single and doubles down here.

They do make a "squat" version, maybe that's what you are referring to?

The Faber FX100 is nearly identical to the LP85... 85 is 13 liters, FX100 is 12.9l so they are essentially the same volume. 85 is 26" tall, FX100 is 25.4" tall. AL80's are also 26" tall and are too tall for the vast majority of people IMO. These aren't the PST/Worthington 100's that were 24" tall and are ideal for people under 6' tall, but those are very different tanks than the FX100's

You can get the LP85s in galvanized now.

I like my (painted) LP85s as, @26.5" with the boots on, they are just clear of my Halcyon 40 doubles wings. Re boots causing rust, one set is going for its 3rd hydro. I would buy the galvanized 85s.

I bought a new set fx100 doubles in a package sale and they are heavy. I found them unbearably top heavy and difficult to trim: The CG is terrible but some cold water dry suit diver that are short they work for. I like the lighter tank that carries more gas and trims perfectly. I’ve never observed lp85l’s not working for anyone

I’ve never observed lp85l’s not working for anyone
I haven't either, but I haven't seen any trim issues with FX100's either, at least not as singles. I admittedly haven't dove them as doubles yet though since my main doubles are PST HP120's and they trim beautifully.
Issue I have with recommending LP85's for anyone is that unless you get cave fills, they are really inefficient in terms of lbs:cubic ft

Issue I have with recommending LP85's for anyone is that unless you get cave fills, they are really inefficient in terms of lbs:cubic ft

Fortunately, I can get cave fills. Thanks LJDS.

Fortunately, I can get cave fills. Thanks LJDS.

OP is in Morehead City and they tend to be quite a bit more stingy about that up there.
The only HP steels that I have are for 3l's on my CCR and my HP120's, everything is else is LP because of ballast issues when sidemounting/cave diving, but that's done in cave country, or filled by me/buddies that have no problem cave filling so happy days. The HP120's are HP mainly for ballast purposes when diving dry

Back
Top Bottom