Which focus light....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering purchasing the Olympus long arm shoe for my PT-06 housing so that I can add a focus light. I would like to know what lights and torch adapters work with one another, thanks.

I would suggest you PM some of the dive photo folks who work for dealers here on the board. They could give you the best information. Jack Connick and Phil Rudin are two who come to mind. My 2¢ is that most focus lights have a quenching slave which turns the light off when a strobe is detected. The focus light may stay off for a second or two. The smaller and lighter strobes will put less strain on your housing. There doesn't appear to be any need for specific focus light/strobe combinations. Having a red light option with your focus light can be helpful.

Hi I am considering buying this one.
Bigblue AL450W W/Clip & Red Filter
Proviso - I mainly do macro stuff and don't need a particularly strong light. This one auto-offs and has the red filter option which I am not convinced one way or the other about. I read conflicting stories on red filters.

I've been using a Sola Photo 800 for years. It doesn't turn off when my flashes fire, but I've never really noticed any issues with hot spots in my photos from it. The option of using red can be useful, and the red light is always washed out by the strobes and isn't visible.

Back
Top Bottom