• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Which goes first...

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by rfwoodvt, Feb 1, 2021.

1. rfwoodvt

rfwoodvt Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Morning all,

Looking at adding a step-in hooded vest to layer with my wetsuit and am trying to decide which should go over the other.

In general, does it matter which one goes on first from a protection/warmth perspective?

What if one of them has the better arm, head/neck and leg seals?

Thanks!

2. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I can't imagine there's a rule for that, whatever sequence fits better.

Some of my vest's fit better under some wetsuits and others fit better over them. Just a bit tighter or looser makes the difference for me, I'm curious to see what the experts respond.

uncfnp likes this.
  3. asher102

asher102 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    In general, I would say that a hooded vest goes under your wetsuit.

4. Zef

Zef Divemaster

It dpends entirely on the suits and their sizing. I have an aqualung balance comfort 5.5mm wetsuit and a matching shorty that is designed and sized to be worn over it. I also have a cressi shorty that is sized to be worn under a wetsuit.

Figure out what is most comfortable for you based on what you have/are going to buy.

-Z

5. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I wear my 5/3 mm hooded vest under my 3, 5, or 7 mm full suit. I have not used just a hood for many years. I'm thinking about getting a 5/7 mm hooded vest to add to my flexibility.

I've seen a minority of divers layer their hooded vests over their wetsuits, I would imagine that it works just fine

6. sea_ledford

sea_ledford Captain

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    All things equal, I like a hooded vest over a suit as I think it seals the neck and back zip better so less water flow through the suit. But really whichever one is tighter will be the primary dictator of which goes on first.

johndiver999 likes this.
  7. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I’ve seen people do both. Most do it under, but some do it over.

8. jakehbk

jakehbk Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    A step in hooded vest is an odd beast. Where are you diving and what style of wetsuit do you already own? I have a 3 piece wetsuit combo that is a farmer john bottom, a hooded best and a step in long sleeve jacket. It goes on in that order.

My rule is that a step in wetsuit piece with short legs goes on last to avoid the legs bunching or riding up