Which Graphics Card for video editing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I am currently putting a spec together for a new PC and am not too sure as to what graphic card specs I will require for video editing.
I do a fair bit of photo editing, for that alone any decent card will probably do, I just don't want to go and put something in when for a bit more I could have had something that will assist when editing video.
I do have a dual monitor setup at the moment and plan to have the same setup with the new machine.

So far I have:

CPU: Intel i7 3.6Ghz
Memory: 12Gb - 16Gb (PC3-1600 2000MHz)
M/B - Not yet chosen, depends on other components & exact CPU / memory setup
HDD: - 2 X SSD's - one for the OS and program files, the other for photo's and video that I am currently working on.

Software - photo's - PSCS5 & soon Lightroom 4
video - Adobe Premier Elements 10

Any assistance in this regard would be much appreciated, I am new to the world of video editing.

Have you looked at getting a MAC? iMovie works great and come with the OS. All I can say is that it just works!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response but a Mac is not on the cards - I have other software (non photo / video) that I run that is PC only and there is no Mac equivalent.
A dual boot system does not interest me either.

Looking at the rest of the stuff you plan on putting in it I would go with a GTX 560ti sli or a 580.
On a side note why 2 ssd's? As you go up in gigs ssd's get cheaper per gig. I would get a 128 gig (or 250 gig ssd if you have an o my god amount of programs to run) and get an HHD for storage.

Many thanks for the response, much appreciated.

The two ssd's - one for the OS and program files and the other for photo / video files that I am currently working on. Once I have finished editing them I will move them to a larger storage disk which I already have plenty of

I have a MacBook Pro and also an Asus 64 Bit win7 gaming computer. Mac is nice, boots quick etc and display is great. However, the win 7 gaming laptop running Cyberlink's PowerDirector 10 64 bit is about 3x faster than iMovie or FCE and has more options except audio ducking so have to keyframe. For some reason, most software plays nicer with Nvidia cards. I have not been able to get Adobe to work well with H.264 codec video. Cyberlink Powerdirector 64 is damn fast, so fast I rarly use the mac except to read email and maybe viewvideo I have edited in Powerdirector. BTW Powerdirector has a H.264 lossless codec

Hold the bus!!! (PC, that is).

If you are going to use Adobe products, make absolutely sure your GC supports the Adobe codecs. I do video and photo, and built a machine from scratch (8 drives, mirroring, SSD boot, 24GB RAM, i7) and you will make a huge error if you don't check out the cross-references. YOu can check their webiste here: Movie editor, DVD editing software | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - Tech specs, which also has an internal link for the nVidia site.

Hold the bus!!! (PC, that is).

If you are going to use Adobe products, make absolutely sure your GC supports the Adobe codecs. I do video and photo, and built a machine from scratch (8 drives, mirroring, SSD boot, 24GB RAM, i7) and you will make a huge error if you don't check out the cross-references. YOu can check their webiste here: Movie editor, DVD editing software | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - Tech specs, which also has an internal link for the nVidia site.

What he said :) Powerdirector is ~$100

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom