which housing to get??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all I am pretty new to gopro and UW video. I will be spending the winter in Thailand and diving alot 150-200 dives so I am getting a gopro hero 2 but not sure what is the best housing to get? I will be using the cam for both UW and on land/boat filing...

dive housing pros it's cheaper than the others.made by gopro... neg plastics lens
SRP pros glass lens optional filters cons pretty spendy
backscatter glass lens not sure of the cns yet.

so as if right now I kinnda leaning towars SRP as there just over the hill form me and i like to my local when I can. + i do like the filter options. question can i attach any 55M filter to it? would like a few, but looks like they modifiy them...

also any one have any idea how much the new red slip over filter is gonna be?

so I am between the gopro DH with BS flip filter or the SRP blur fix W/ a red filter.
so your thoughts and feedback are very welcome.
cheers
Deva

Hey Deva - I'm going to pass on answering this question as I am a distributor for SRP. Think it's best to hear from other community members. Just didn't want you to think I missed your question. Welcome to shooting Go Pro!

^ nice so you much like the SRP then? and thanks for the honesty.
quick question can i use any 55m filter with there setup then or only the one them make? also kinda wiry about the blur fix kit as i don't want to flood my new cam. thoughts??

^ nice so you much like the SRP then? and thanks for the honesty.
quick question can i use any 55m filter with there setup then or only the one them make? also kinda wiry about the blur fix kit as i don't want to flood my new cam. thoughts??
The filter from Urpro is lower than an average 55mm filter, to avoid "vignetting", and you can buy from SRP the housing with the blurfix installed.

Deva, regardless of what housing, make sure you secure the latch with a rubber band - search around the forum for discussions about the backdoor opening when ascending from a dive. Also, remember to attach the camera (or tray/pole) to your BCD using a lanyard, otherwise it sinks if it falls off.

I personally use the GoPro Dive Housing for the price and I still to buy (or make?) a red filter.

Last edited:
wow thanks for the heads up toozler!
well I ordered the dive housing from best buy b/c i have a gift cert. so it was only 30 bucks. but might still get the SRP???
anyone seen any side by side vids of the to?

Hey Deva - Take a look at the first for information on quality of SRP products. Then take a look of the side by side comparison of the new SRP Color Correction system.

[video=youtube_share;9_DG44VST2E]http://youtu.be/9_DG44VST2E[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ijZBC5Tov_4]http://youtu.be/ijZBC5Tov_4[/video]

Hope these help?

great thanks for that! but now I am confused :confused:it said in the vid. the he was using the SRP red filter for the gopro dive housing...but on there web page hey only make filter for there housing. am I messing something...

---------- Post Merged at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:30 PM ----------

ok another Question about SRPare the filter easy to take on and off? say I am on the boat and need it off or another filter then need the red for diving or is it a PITA to swap out?
thanks every one for all your help!

---------- Post Merged at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:30 PM ----------

here is a great vid. of the blur fix using the polarized filter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XTE7kGlfM&feature=related
looks like I m answering my own question....haha oh course I would like the more spendy option...
looks like I might be sending the GoPro DH back and getting the SRP
order it the other day & it was out of stock just checked my email and they shipped it.

Hey Deva,

Sorry for the confusion. GoPro had not released the GoPro Dive Housing. Luke was referencing the stock housing that comes with the GoPro Camera and the addition of the BlurFix to it.

Maybe we can get a few of the divers that did the testing to answer your question. They had the opportunity to test it first had. Hope this helps?

yeah now I have some more celerity on it send Bill from SRP an email and he called me back with in 15min wow that"s service and we talk for 45 min.
such a nice guy! at this point I think I am going to get the blur fix and a couple filters oh and the lens cap too I bet that comes in pretty handy.
not sure if I am going to keep the gopro dive housing or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom