Which integrated computers calculate your SAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As many of my dives are multilevel, it is inaccurate to calculate SAC. However, if one were to get an integrated computer, which ones do the SAC for you?

Uwatec Smartcom does it once you download AND enter the tank data (size and service pressure) it has several standard sized tank data pre-loaded you just select and that 's it.

None that I know of.
The computers will give you an est of air time remaining but not SAC.
As said, some will give you SAC if you download the dive into there software and provide tank info.

I think the answer to your question is all of the air-integrated computers have the data used to calculate your SAC rate. The appropriate download software will allow you to then enter the tank data and spit out the average SAC rate for the dive.

One interesting side note... my Uwatec (primary) and Suunto (backup) that I use both yield different SAC rates for the same dive.

fisherdvm:
As many of my dives are multilevel, it is inaccurate to calculate SAC. However, if one were to get an integrated computer, which ones do the SAC for you?

Suunto Cobra and Vytec provide you with the average depth of your dive and this figure can be used to compute your SAC, but you must do the computation. Your SAC should not be "inaccurate" if proper math is used.

My Aeris Atmos Elite will give me that information when I download it to the software on my PC. As far as on the fly, like fppf said, not going to find one... yet.

fisherdvm:
It is easy to do......

At any level take note of gas available and depth. Swim around for 5-10 minutes, take another note. Do this several times and you will have a fairly accurate set of reference points of time, gas used and depth. All these can then be calculated back to sac.

Example of table:

Time Gas Depth
15 2100 65ft
20 1700 65ft

etc, etc
You now know that you used 400psi in 5min at 65 ft.......and it IS accurate

There are no computers to my knowledge that calculate sac, but they only give you remaining gas/time. you would still have to calculate sac.......

My Suunto Cobro Gives You A Delta P Which To The Best Of My Understanding Is Your Air Used During A Dive. I Have Been Using This To Figure My Sac. Now That I'm Thinking About It -that Would Include Air In Wing. Kk

fisherdvm:
As many of my dives are multilevel, it is inaccurate to calculate SAC.
To calculate SAC, all you need is a dive time, the amount of gas consumed, and the average depth. Any timer will give you dive time. If you know the initial and final pressures as well as the tank's characteristics, you can easily find the amount of gas consumed. Any computer should be able to give you average depth.
fisherdvm:
However, if one were to get an integrated computer, which ones do the SAC for you?
In order to show you SAC, the computer would have to know what cylinder you're using. I don't know of any computers that do that, although there may be some outside my experience.

Suunto Dive Manager, and perhaps other brands' software, does indeed allow you to specify the cylinder used, and it can combine that with the logged pressures to calculate SAC, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom