Which is Better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dolphinus

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to buy an underwater camera but can't decide on what to select. Which is better, sea and sea motor marine II EX or Nikon90 with housing? Or any suggestions on other types of camera.:confused:

Hands down, a housed SLR is light years better than a MMII. I own a MMII EX, a Nikonos V, a Housed Nikon F-100, and a housed Nikon Digital 995. No one moves from a Housed system to a MMII

Rooster's right, Nikonos is generally the better camera. That said, it doesn't mean you'll get better results. The difference in the Nikonos and S&S systems are sometimes minuscule and only detectable by professional photographers. Each one has it's advantages and drawbacks.

Think about the type of pictures you want to take and go with the system that will give it to you.

Most expensive doesn't always mean best.

Originally posted by Dee
Rooster's right, Nikonos is generally the better camera. That said, it doesn't mean you'll get better results. The difference in the Nikonos and S&S systems are sometimes minuscule and only detectable by professional photographers. Each one has it's advantages and drawbacks.

Think about the type of pictures you want to take and go with the system that will give it to you.

Most expensive doesn't always mean best.

Dee,
Re-read the original post. Dolphinus wasn't asking if a Nikonos was better than a MMII. He was asking if a housed N-90 was better than a MMII. And as I stated above, YES, it is, hand over fist. There are many, many, many reasons why. I also don't agree that the differences between MMII and the Nikonos are only miniscule. I own both the MMII EX and a Nik V, and can tell you that a Nikonos is a far better camera, and I'm far from being a professional. ;-)

Upon re-reading the original, you're right again. I missed the specific comparison question.

I don't own a Nikonos but have a friend who does, a Nikonos V. He's has all the expensive lenses, the whole nine yards. We have compared my MMIIex pics and his Nik pics and at 8x10 size, you need a magnifying glass to see the smallest details to tell the difference.

I guess it's all in the results.

Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate it. I think you guys helped me decide on what to get:wink: . Thats one good thing about this board. I am hooked.

I read all the to and fro, pros and cons, then you said you'd decided, but didn't tell us on what ?!

Good diving, and keep the underwater world in focus.

Craig

I decided to get the N90 with housing. I also talked to some friends and they helped me make up my mind.

I know I'm a little late with my 2 cents but why are you restricting your choices to film systems. While I have used MMII, Nik V, housed SLR, and digital Video with success, I am becoming more convinced Digital Still is the solution.

No film, 130 shots on a dive, Macro closeups to Wide Angle, and full view of final product before you ascend, all for half the price of an SLR and Housing. While which camera system you choose may be based on specific criteria that only an SLR can deliver, you owe it to yourself to check out digital.

Just to throw a few more fire crackers in the fire.

Originally posted by Scubapearce
I know I'm a little late with my 2 cents but why are you restricting your choices to film systems. While I have used MMII, Nik V, housed SLR, and digital Video with success, I am becoming more convinced Digital Still is the solution.

No film, 130 shots on a dive, Macro closeups to Wide Angle, and full view of final product before you ascend, all for half the price of an SLR and Housing. While which camera system you choose may be based on specific criteria that only an SLR can deliver, you owe it to yourself to check out digital.

I own and routinely use a MMII EX, a Nikonos V, a housed Nikon F-100, and a housed Digital Nikon CP-995. Actually the 995 is my wife's, but I have more UW time using it ;-} Even though I really like 995 and it's Aquatica housing, I still say a housed SLR is a lot better. Yes I can get more shots with the digital, but the resolution of those shots are not as good as film. Plus when all is said (shot) and done, I end up with more Eye Popping shots from the SLR and quality slide film. To me quality is better than quantity. As far as going macro to wide angle, you can do this with a zoom lens on an slr, but like a zoom lens on an slr, the lenses on digital cameras are a compromise. They don't go wide enough, or focus close enough for good "dedicated" W/A or macro work. For good macro or wide-angle work, you'll still need an add-on lens. You could wait a few months for the release of the Nikon D-100 and get the best of both worlds, a 5 megapixel true SLR. Though it won't be cheap (2 to 3 grand), it is more affordable than the D-1X. Full view of finished product before you ascend? I don?t know about you, but I don?t take a 15? screen down with me when I dive, and those tiny screens on the camera only provide a low quality preview of the shot. I have taken many shots that looked "OK" on the camera, only to find on the computer screen the shot was not in sharp focus, or the camera had focused on the wrong part of the frame.

Back
Top Bottom