which is your favorite tech scuba agency?

which is your favorite tech scuba agency?

• IANTD

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • ANDI

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • TDI

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • GUE

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • NAUI

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • DSAT

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I placed a vote.

BUT--I would pick any given instructor based on the instructor's rep, attitude, and approach, rather than which card he had in his wallet.

Other than getting such a discussion started, I think the whole concept of voting for which agency is liked is totally irrellevant.

That is, unless you were just wanting to stir up the "do it our way or die" crowd. :wink:

theskull

Although no agency has a majority here, so far IANTD and GUE are reaching for the plurality prize. That is worth knowing, in any post related to tech diving here on Scubaboard.

When I try to understand why someone has posted like they have, a sense of who is posting and who is listening helps.

I always knew IANTD has been around a long time. I also expected they are quite strong as well. I did not realize that GUE is making the inroads on technical diving that it may be making, if the people posting here are any indication of that.

I know tech divers who swear by Halcyon gear, but not by GUE doctrines such as hanging all your deco tanks all on one side, nor only wearing one single depth/timing device. I believe that Halcyon's most perfect creation is their oval wing, and I may try to DIY one of those nice wings onto my own fabrick harness. I already have 2 Halcyon flashlights and a Halcyon safety sausage.

I find it slightly odd - on the boards you always hear a lot about the GUE trained/training divers, and little from the other groups.
However, I have yet to meet a GUE trained diver on a boat, but know plenty of IANTD trained ones, and dive with them on a fairly regular basis.
I've just booked myself a weeks gas diving on a boat I've not been near before, on looking at the list, 10 out of 11 are IANTD and one is TDI

over GUE because GUE is rabidly anti CCR (closed circuit rebreather).

Otherwise the two agencies are fairly equal as far as I am concerned.

boomx5 once bubbled...

Halcyon makes one that GUE endorses. :wink:

No they do not. They only make a Semi-Closed Rebreather. Not even close to the same thing.

I'm a novice tech diver. I hesitate to refer to some of my dive profiles as tech but by definition they are. I just completed the TDI Decompression Procedures course. Reading over the posts it does not appear there are many that have taken the same course from more than one agency. Of course there would be no real point to do so. I think you will find (and have found) that people go with what agency they are used to from other courses.

I have my PADI Master Diver certification. I was considering the PADI Deep Tec vs the TDI Deco Procedures course. I went with the TDI course for a two reasons:

1.) The TDI course was more applicable to the type of diving I do and plan to do in the near future. The PADI course REQUIRED doubles whereas the TDI course trained single tank use (with H or Y valve) OR doubles. I have been doing single tank deco dives down to 130' up here in New England. My SAC rates and usual profile are such that I do not need doubles nor do I need to invest the big bucks for a totally new dive system. I dive with a single tank for back gas and a 30CF pony/deco bottle.

2.) I spoke to a few tech divers who have also researched the courses and they all said the courses are similar but "how they get you there" is a bit different.

So the TDI course was a fit for me. The TDI course was written with straight forward "casual" language if you will. What you are reading is similar to what you may hear an instructor say in person. The PADI courses I have taken (non tech courses) were very well written and very professional. Almost a bit more formal if you will.

--Matt

Im looking to move into tech diving from recreational so Im interested in people's opinions on here, was considerin the TechRec course but have been put off by people I know whove said that they dont have enough experience as an agency to do tech courses yet.

I just completed the TecDeep course this past spring. The course materials are excellent. What will determine the quality of the class will be the instructor. Mine has been in the business for over twenty year and has dove everything from the Dora to the sites in Florida. My instructor have been a TDI instructor for year has been teaching this course for two years and tell me that it is a much better course.

If you are in the New Jersey area and want more information, send me a PM and I will get it to you.

DORSETBOY:
Im looking to move into tech diving from recreational so Im interested in people's opinions on here, was considerin the TechRec course but have been put off by people I know whove said that they dont have enough experience as an agency to do tech courses yet.

Just note the PADI Tec Deep requires doubles and the TDI course does not.

--Matt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom