Which Is Your Favourite Among Yap, Truk & Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking of finally traveling to Micronesia to dive but trying to decide between Yap, Truk and Palau. Which would be your favourite among these three?

Which would be best for big animals?

Which of these have the best day trip boat dives?

Another vote for Palau. I skipped Truk as I was not interested in wrecks.

The mantas in Yap were great when they appeared; when they weren't there the manta dives are much less interesting (we had two days where no mantas appeared). The shark feed was also very good, if you attend shark feeds. But overall I found the reefs in Palau healthier and fishier, with more chances of large animals. The Rock Islands are also staggeringly beautiful.

That said, when I was in Micronesia in 08 it was easy to add a 3 day Yap extension to a Palau trip because the flight to Palau connected via Yap. If you're going all the way there and can add three days, it might be nice to experience Yap as well. I found the culture of Yap very interesting.

FR I don't know anyone who has dove Truk land-based. Everyone I know dove Truk via liveaboard.

Your post is a few months old but I'll post in case you still haven't made up your mind.

I haven't been to Truk but a few of my friends have been there. From their description, the diving tends to be short dives on deep wrecks. At home, I almost exclusively dive wrecks so this doesn't have much appeal for me on an exotic vacation. My friends also tell me that the accommodations are spartan.

I have been to Palau and Yap. Here are links to my trip reports:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/the-pacific-islands/381876-palau-trip-report.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/the-pacific-islands/381867-yap-trip-report.html

Both trips were very memorable. Continental is the only airline that flies from North America to Yap & Palau and you have to fly in and out of both locations. Therefore, if you are travelling that far, why not stay for a while in each location.

However, if I had to choose only one of the two, I'd choose Palau.

I have pictures from both locations on my web site. PM me if you'd like to have a look and I'll send you a link.

Just a correction on this bit...

...Continental is the only airline that flies from North America to Yap & Palau and you have to fly in and out of both locations...

Continental Airlines was merged into United more than a few years ago, so it (as a brand) no longer exists. United took over most of what were previously Continental's Pacific routes. United still does the route from Honolulu to Guam to a string of Micronesian islands including Palau and Yap. I *think* this United flight is currently the only way to fly to Yap. However, there are multiple other airlines that fly to Palau, including Asiana and Korean (from Seoul), Delta (from Tokyo), and a few others (including United, from Guam).

Just a correction on this bit...

Continental Airlines was merged into United more than a few years ago, so it (as a brand) no longer exists. United took over most of what were previously Continental's Pacific routes. United still does the route from Honolulu to Guam to a string of Micronesian islands including Palau and Yap. I *think* this United flight is currently the only way to fly to Yap. However, there are multiple other airlines that fly to Palau, including Asiana and Korean (from Seoul), Delta (from Tokyo), and a few others (including United, from Guam).

Correct. You can get to Yap only via Palau or Guam. However, as you pointed out, there are numerous routes to either Palau or Guam. You don't have to take the island hopper (Honolulu, Majuro, Kwajalein, Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Guam).

With the caveat that we have not been to Palau / Yap since 2002... but are going to both next week yippee!..... The diving in Palau is better. But I very much enjoyed the 4-5 or so days we spent on Yap, diving with Manta Ray Bay Hotel/Yap Divers. Very laid back island, much different than being on a liveaboard in Palau. We decided to spend the full week in Yap this time, and are going after Palau to decompress a bit.

No interest in Truk and never been. What I've *heard* is that the locals don't like tourists. The Yapese are quite welcoming (or were)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom