Which island has the best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Little Cayman.

I've been to Bonaire, Cozumel, and Roatan numerous time and enjoyed all. I've also been to Dominica, Belize, Nassau, The Keys, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and others I can't recall at the moment but none have compared to Little Cayman for the overall reef life and visibility.

I have also found that the fish life in Little Cayman seem to be more tame or diver friendly than many of the other places I have been. They really lend themselves well for video and photo opportunities.

Is November a good time to go?

I've been to Little Cayman twice. In 2006 we went in September and the weather was great. Then this past May we went and again it couldn't have been better. I've never been in November but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be really nice that time of year also.

November is a great time to go. However, LCBR is usually booked over Thanksgiving, so if you plan on going then, you might want to book now.

Another vote for Little Cayman.

I've been to Bonaire, Cozumel, and Roatan numerous time and enjoyed all. I've also been to Dominica, Belize, Nassau, The Keys, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and others I can't recall at the moment but none have compared to Little Cayman for the overall reef life and visibility.

I have also found that the fish life in Little Cayman seem to be more tame or diver friendly than many of the other places I have been. They really lend themselves well for video and photo opportunities.

I can relate to that, LC is the best for fish, if you dive for a week an excellent chance of seeing pelagics (shark,eagle ray,dolphin,ect) LC for viz in Caribbean, also some of the best wall diving. T&C has comparable but the viz is not as good and the color of sponges at T&C are not as bright
File0091.jpg
File0110.jpg

File0089.jpg

LEAST: Hawaii (Maui) and St. Kitts

Favorite: Tobago (although it very WILD and the dive operations are sketchy as hell. They had to find a boat for the day of our dive and it was just a pachanga. It also turned bad weather so our vis went to crap really quick but the life there is amazing. We had a large Bull Shark stalking us through most of our dive. Not too scary until the Vis went from 40ft to 5ft. Then it was time to bail.

Heading to Bonaire for the first time next week, we shall see!!

Another vote for Little Cayman. Good beaches, wonderful coral, and lots of fish. Bonaire has lots of small stuff, but no beaches. Cozumel is perfect for drift diving and lots of variety, but hardly any beaches.

I dove Bonaire recently and thought it was great. I've also done a live-aboard to the SOUTHERN Bahamas and they were fabulous.....unspoiled, lots of pelagic sea life and great reefs. I would highly recommned both. Turks and Caicos has super wall diving.

Hands down best diving in the Caribbean is in SABA. Not a great party destination but if you just want to get away thats the spot to do it. If you want details on hotels, and dive shops drop a PM.

Domincia has some of the most colorful reefs in the caribbean, great muck diving too. As is typical, most large fish have been eaten by the humans. Lots of sponges and crinoids and inverts. Topside, no beaches no great hotels or restaurants, It does have rainforest hiking with lots of waterfalls.

Still I rate Dominica #1 Dive spot in the Caribbean. If you go dive with Nature Island Dive. Small Boats, 2 t 6 divers per boat.

Little Cayman One word Overpriced. The reef did well after the 2 back to back hurricanes last year. I was there 30 days after the last hurricane Paloma. There was some damage, but the deeper areas still looked good. I rate Little Cayman #2 in the Caribbean

I was not impressed with the diving at Saba. The island is beautiful. The shallow reefs were damaged by hurricanes and are recovering. The deep Pinacles are still good. I would not put it in the top 10 not good, but not bad. Just interesting diving.

Utila had the most unhealthy reef of any so called diving island I have ever seen. Most of the coral was dead and covered in algae. There were many Muck diving opportunities. Lots of Cryptic Tear Drop Crabs. Yes you will see a whale shark. (for about 2 seconds as 20 other boats try to run over the poor thing). Overall, I would never go back to that area.

Virgin Gorda. There are some so so dive site in the BVI. No shore diving. THere are lots of charter boats in every cove. The heads pump overboard. You will be swimming in a septic tank if you do a shore dive. Some of the more popular coves have the bottoms covered in a layer to toilet paper. very attractive. In Virgin Gorda, you must go to the baths when the cruise ships are not there. Best time is at sunset. Quite nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom