Which Maui shore dive company?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My fiance and I will be on our honeymoon July 18-25 on Maui. We are getting ready to finish up our certification. I have booked a boat trip with Extended Horizons because of the good reviews and also we will be staying at the Sheraton. I need some input if anyone has dove with these companies for shore dives: Shaka Divers, Maui Dreams Dive Co., or Turtle Reef Divers. I have looked and Shaka Divers has a 2 dive special for $69. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't have any experience with the shore dive companies you mentioned, but will throw a couple comments your way .....

I've enjoyed some really nice night dives with DM's from Extended Horizons. I recommend giving them a call.

The Sheraton has a dive shack right on their beach. It is probably more expensive, but does have the advantage of convenience. Leaves more time for honeymoon activities. :wink: I think they go out about 3 times per day. New diver and Discover Scuba oriented.

I have very much enjoyed Maui Dreams -- I can't say enough good about them!

They're very much divers that run a shop, NOT a group of people trying to make a buck off of tourists... which goes a long way in my books! :)

As a side note: Kihei is about a 40 minute drive from Lahaina... so that might make MDDC (and maybe Shaka) a difficult choice. I'd say it's worth it, but many others probably won't agree! :)

DiveMe:
I thought Shaka went to Black Rock, the Airport, etc??? Shaka, where are you??
I saw him at Ulua a couple of days ago. He had the video fired up in the bus and was sharing movies with a couple of women who should always wear bikinis.

Al Mialkovsky:
I saw him at Ulua a couple of days ago. He had the video fired up in the bus and was sharing movies with a couple of women who should always wear bikinis.

Didn't I see you at Makena Landing the other day Al? You and your girl were in the silver SUV, maybe you left around 11:00 or so? Didn't really recognize you without your mask but I had a feeling that I had seen you before. I had a nice dive that day! 56 minutes, 31 feet. Wasn't that the day that all the dive boats were also there? I counted like 4 dive charters sitting a stones throw from shore. I was so taken by the sight that I popped off a couple pictures. It just goes to show you that you don't always have to pay the higher prices for boat dives to hit the best spots. This was the premier shore site that day and we made a nice walk-in that ran almost an hour. I have some cool dives there. I've rarely been disappointed.

And those girls that were in my bus watching the video at Ulua...can you describe them a little more? I mean, there's been so many bikini sightings lately, I've kind of lost track of who you're talking about!!

Have you done a scooter trip from shore to the wreck yet?? Now that's a cool dive!
I did it again just this last Friday, actually logged my 2,400th Maui dive that day. You should let me take you out there one of these days. I know the way and there is some nice reef along out there if you do it right.

I hope you all enjoy the long holiday weekend!

Oh, by the way, I do hit Balck Rock once in a while. I like it when the drift works in your favor. I've always noticed a lot of eels out there.

I am now the proud owner of a Shaka Diver ink pen. In fact I own two of them. That wasn't me in the SUV. I'm budget all the way when I'm here. Doug it looked like you had a couple of happy divers in your bus with you today at Ulua.

Details on the bikinis, well there wasn't enough bikini on either of them to determine what color they were, just a second, ok, I'm better now :)

Hey Hoosier,

I just got back from a quick trip to Maui and I dove with Doug of Shaka Divers. We did a wreck dive from shore using scooters. It was a really unique experience. I would definitely dive with Doug again. I like his laid back attitude (but he's very thorough and professional.) I really didn't want to do the "cattle" boat kind of dive. So this was perfet. Very intimate.

Maui Dreams is very good. I can't really say for any others since I usually just rent tanks and go when I'm there. I really don't care for Maui Dive shop though. I'm not impressed with their staff.

For boat trips I love Mike Sevrens and Ed Robinsons.

Scott

As far as I am concerned, Mike Sevrens is the best dive operator anywhere. When my wife and I vacation in Maui, Sevrens dive is our only operator. Used him 10 time now, each time perfection.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom