Which of the 2 LOB's have more shallow dives in a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say if you're a diver, regardless of where you dive, having DAN dive insurance is a good idea. But I think you may be asking about DAN travel insurance, which is completely different than DAN's dive insurance. I normally don't purchase travel insurance unless I'm going during heavy hurricane season and something else is going on that may prevent/interrupt me from going on this trip.

I've been on the Aquacat and Blackbeards twice each and I have to see any other sharks except Caribbean Reef and Nurse sharks.

As for wetsuit vs board shorts, that depends on your personal preference. I personally HATE to have anything exposed so if the water is incredibly warm, 82+, I'll just use a .5mm or 1.5mm skin. Also don't forget that on night dives you may get colder on the surface so having a full suit may be a good idea.

You're going to love the Aquacat, one of their awesome land excursions is to visit the swimming pigs off of Exuma-I've done this twice and it's always a good time seeing the pigs.

I would say if you're a diver, regardless of where you dive, having DAN dive insurance is a good idea. But I think you may be asking about DAN travel insurance, which is completely different than DAN's dive insurance. I normally don't purchase travel insurance unless I'm going during heavy hurricane season and something else is going on that may prevent/interrupt me from going on this trip.

I've been on the Aquacat and Blackbeards twice each and I have to see any other sharks except Caribbean Reef and Nurse sharks.

As for wetsuit vs board shorts, that depends on your personal preference. I personally HATE to have anything exposed so if the water is incredibly warm, 82+, I'll just use a .5mm or 1.5mm skin. Also don't forget that on night dives you may get colder on the surface so having a full suit may be a good idea.

You're going to love the Aquacat, one of their awesome land excursions is to visit the swimming pigs off of Exuma-I've done this twice and it's always a good time seeing the pigs.

Since I'm still a newbie, I'll skip night dives.
Hard enough in daytime to adjust things like mask, BCD , REG etc lol.

Is it risky to expose arms, legs? Are jellies a risk in that cruise in daytime?

I always wear a full wetsuit and it has nothing to do with the temperature.
You never know what you might brush up against - or what might brush up against you.

Many people do wear a full suit all the time, even in warm waters. It is a layer of protection for your skin, against scratches and scrapes underwater, and when climbing the ladder back onto the boat. And against anything that might sting or bite. When you are diving upto 5 dives a day, your skin is very fragile and vulnerable.

Once in a while I'll dive in a t-shirt just because I can. Usually when I am just too lazy to put on that wetsuit one more time. Some people do it all the time, rashguard shirts are popular for that. But usually I stick to full coverage, even if it's just a lycra skin. You'll come home with way fewer boo-boos of whatever sort.

Lots of tropical places rent shortie wetsuits, maybe rent one and see what you think. I think they rent them more than full suits mostly because they're easier to fit more people. I suppose they're slightly less bulky to pack and get into, but I don't see many people on LOBs bring them. I figure if you need the thermal protection, you may as well cover everything up, and also not have weird tan (or more likely sunburn) lines.

I think you will find that your worst arm / shin exposure is to the ladder on the boat. Or firecoral if your bouyancy is crap.

Jellies are attracted to boat lights at night so not really a worry during the day. At night they are not a real issue if you purge some air just before you hit the ladder. One of the LOBs we use hangs an extra colored (red?) light on the ladders as a warning near the end of the dive if the crew detects jellies.

I dove shorties for over 20 years with no issues. Now i go with just trunks if possible. I generally get about 1 hit per week and it always seems to happen on my face. Stings like hell for a few minutes, but then goes away. My divebuddy once got a nasty hit on the wrist at the cuff of her wetsuit. It took a few years for the scar to go away.

YMMV

If you are comfortable, try and do at least one night dive-it's really an awesome experience to see all the night time stuff. The AC only offers 4 night dives(Sun-Thurs) so I'd try and look into it if possible. Also keep in mind you'll have at least 4 dives on Sunday before your first night dive, or 8 total before if you want to start first night dive on Monday evening.

Regarding wearing a full suit vs board shorts vs etc., I personally just hate the feeling of anything exposed as you never know what may touch you. This is especially true if and when you reach Eleuthera in the Bahamas, one set of islands where there known to have sea wasps, or night time jellies that stings like you wouldn't believe. The crew will inform you to try and keep your torches at bay when you're near the ladders on some of the night dives.

Another option is if the water is warm enough and if you don't want to wear a dedicated full suit is to wear long sleeve rash guards and compression pants.

What you wear while diving is a personal preference. If t-shirt & board shorts were a HUGE problem there wouldn't be so many people diving in them. :) I prefer a full lycra skin. I got in the habit diving the Lower/Slower Keys in the summer when jellies can be thick (plus they are good sun protection). It's not always the jelly you see that gets you. Prop washed (chewed up) jellies can get you as well, though IMHO, none are such a fun ending/trip ruining experience that you have to live in fear of them (except maybe a man-o-war, they suck).

I hate wetsuits (it's why I get on the BIG planes and fly to tropical climes to dive). When I do HAVE to wear a wetsuit, I still wear the lycra underneath 'cause it makes wetsuits so much easier to doff & don. All IMHO, YMMV. Also, don't write off the night dives too quickly. After a couple days of diving you might be up for a new adventure and they can be fun. Enjoy your trip. :)

Last edited:
Thx all...
I got myself aqua cat Bahamas in sep... via caradona. Just need to ask them bigger tank and rental BCD,regulator.

Best thing is i got nice award tickets from AA only 12.5k miles direct to Nassau from philly.

I'll not do the washing machine and any specific shark dive to see the big 3 g. White, tiger and bull.

I already have a full wet suit, but I'd love to try a half suit (need to buy).... or just dive in shorts, tshirt...

Any comments on this?

Hello @miserkris . You will have a great time on Aqua Cat! When are you going? A group of us will also be there leaving out the 8th of September.
We were on last year almost the same time of year and I wore no thermal protection at all which may or may not be a good indicator since for a Southern boy I seem to have pretty good cold tolerance. However Mrs Flush also did not wear any all week and if she didn't use any I would say almost anyone would not need any (she turns the seat warmers on in the car during Summer). Thumbing back through my logbook from last year I see the lowest water tempeture at depth we had was 84 and most were 85.
Let me know if you are gonna be on there the same time or if you have any questions.

Hello @miserkris . You will have a great time on Aqua Cat! When are you going? A group of us will also be there leaving out the 8th of September.
We were on last year almost the same time of year and I wore no thermal protection at all which may or may not be a good indicator since for a Southern boy I seem to have pretty good cold tolerance. However Mrs Flush also did not wear any all week and if she didn't use any I would say almost anyone would not need any (she turns the seat warmers on in the car during Summer). Thumbing back through my logbook from last year I see the lowest water tempeture at depth we had was 84 and most were 85.
Let me know if you are gonna be on there the same time or if you have any questions.

Hi there,
Yes I'm booked for sep8-15 . I'm hoping there will be newbies in the cat.... so did you go the exact cruise itinerary last year?

Will they provide free floats in case i wanna snorkel and dose off!?

I'm hoping the hurricanes come a lot later than sep!

I'm wondering if i should change to fins with a split in the middle for I've been using these mares ones that work great but more effort to push(resistance is more due to no slit)

Can anyone advice, see pic thx...
20180706_231214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom