Which of the 2 LOB's have more shallow dives in a week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband likes his split fins, he says they are easy to swim with underwater. I prefer full fins because I think that they help me to push against strong current.

Everybody has an opinion but there's no reason for the op to change fins but he might consider getting socks to wear on his first LOB because he will be doing a lot of repetitive diving. They sell lycra scuba socks to cushion your feet, and some prefer to wear plain old white socks - and some don't wear any socks at all.

But if your skin starts to get red and rubbed in areas after diving, a pair of socks can be helpful to prevent blisters and sores. With my current booties I don't need to wear socks, but I remember that on one of our first LOB trips, using different gear, an area of my foot was rubbed raw and I couldn't keep a bandage it on it even when wearing socks. The divemaster put a bandage on and then wrapped duct tape around my foot to keep it in place during dives - and it worked!

Last edited:
My husband likes his split fins, he says they are easy to swim with underwater. I prefer full fins because I think that they help me to push against strong current.

Everybody has an opinion but there's no reason for the op to change fins but he might consider getting socks to wear on his first LOB because he will be doing a lot of repetitive diving. They sell lycra scuba socks to cushion your feet, and some prefer to wear plain old white socks - and some don't wear any socks at all.

But if your skin starts to get red and rubbed in areas after diving, a pair of socks can be helpful. With my current booties I don't need to wear socks, but I remember that on one of our first LOB trips, using different gear, an area of my foot was rubbed raw and I couldn't keep a bandage it on it even when wearing socks. The divemaster put a bandage on and then wrapped duct tape around my foot to keep it in place during dives - and it worked!

Wholeheartedly agree with bringing Lycra socks. Based on recommendations here, I bought 2 pairs to bring to my first liveaboard a few months ago, unbeknownst to my husband. When my husband started complaining about being rubbed raw by one of his booties, I whipped out a pair of Lycra socks and saved the day! Strong plastic clamps were also a must have to dry wetsuits , etc between dives. Another recommendation I got from Scubaboard.

Thanks... in my previous dives i wore cheap nylon socks, even cotton hanes socks and booties. I was fine. I'll try a pair of lycra.....

Btw.. should i take booties or no in this LOB?

Thanks... in my previous dives i wore cheap nylon socks, even cotton hanes socks and booties. I was fine. I'll try a pair of lycra.....

Booties, unless you want to be walking on raw stumps by the end of the week - with cramps!

Anyone seen great hammerhead shark in this cruise or generally in bahamas? I love that gentle giant!

Haven't seen it in the AquaCat trip reports that I recall. If you want to see them, you've got a better chance if you take a dedicated trip. It's probably not worthwhile to send the thread off into a heated debate over shark feed diving; if that's something that, after reading up on it, you're interested in, Emerald Dive Charters (my trip report and broader discussion) might well get you great hammerhead action (HalcyonDaze's blurb, quoted in that report, indicates March - May, with April the best bet). Also, at least as of that trip report writing and from it - "Neal Watson’s Bimini Scuba Center’s Great Hammerhead Safari trip page shows close-in contact with large hammerheads (and a bait container) without shark cages; Manuel Sam (Posts #3 & 4) dove with BSC in early 2017 and said sharks were hand-fed."

Keep in mind a large, predatory shark can't be counted on to be a 'gentle giant,' so if you seek them out on a dedicated trip, exercise due caution.

Most of my dive trip reports feature fairly 'easy' diving; I consider myself intermediate, not advanced. Shark feed diving is the main exception to that; I think people ought to be better seasoned, and better informed on the subject in advance, than needed for most of my trips. It's also hotly controversial, and worth reading up on to decide whether it's even something one wishes to do.

Richard.

Anyone seen great hammerhead shark in this cruise or generally in bahamas? I love that gentle giant!
No. The area that the Aquacat goes to is not normally the area that is known for Hammerheads. The AC typically goes south to the Exumas Land and Marine Park or over to the foot of Eleuthra. While that is not to say that Hammerheads couldn't be there, I don't recall any of the crew ever talking about every seeing one. There was one seen in Hurricane Hole Marina (where the AC berths) a few years ago.

On the AC, you will see Nurse Sharks and Caribbean Reef Sharks, but those are the only two species that you are likely going to see.

If you really want to increase your chances of seeing a Hammerhead in the Bahamas, then your best bet would be to go to Bimini. During certain parts of the year, you will be almost certain to see them.

Hoag is correct, the itinerary for the entire All Star Cruises Bahamian fleet(Aquacat, Blackbeards, Cat P), all visit the Exumas/Eleuthera chain-I've been on 4 of their trips have only seen nurse and Caribbean reef sharks. A few people on one of my AC trips once saw a Bull in the Exumas but I didn't see it.

The only boat that may allow you to see hammerheads is the Aggressor Bahamas during their summer months when they visit Grand Bahamas. You can also try your luck with the Juliet out of Miami-they only visit Bimini on all of their Bahamas trips.

If your fins fit with your booties, I wouldn't think they would fit without.

Back
Top Bottom