Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooooh it’s gonna be one of THOSE threads...dang, it’s gonna get moderated :(

To add... the only reason that I can think of is the splits can cause it to get caught in line, which is a no-no for cave/DIR folk. Is that the reason?

I’m serious...I wanna know. It’s got lots and great reviews on places like LeisurePro and Amazon (Atomic splits, for example).

Last edited:
In my area there is this fantastic drift dive called "Navy Hall" I like it because you jump in swim out a little then decend, the current takes you and after about 8 minutes you see white sand and at that point you start swimming inland. Once you are at the banks you swim against the drift for about 5 minutes and acend, then you can do the drift again. Same entry and exit point which is super rare for a drift dive.

With split fins (or many other fins that are not the Turtle or Jetfin design) you just can't swim against the strength of the current and you'll be pulled up the river for a nice 3 km hike back to the car in full kit.

In my area there is this fantastic drift dive called "Navy Hall" I like it because you jump in swim out a little then decend, the current takes you and after about 8 minutes you see white sand and at that point you start swimming inland. Once you are at the banks you swim against the drift for about 5 minutes and acend, then you can do the drift again. Same entry and exit point which is super rare for a drift dive.

With split fins (or many other fins that are not the Turtle or Jetfin design) you just can't swim against the strength of the current and you'll be pulled up the river for a nice 3 km hike back to the car in full kit.

I am more confused now...I thought splits were GOOD for swimming in currents...

I'll bite...

Splits are inappropriate for caves/penetration due to some possibility of entanglement, less finesse control, much harder to not stir up silt, difficult to back kick, etc. Some people view them as a crutch to learning more or better kicking techniques.

Splits are popular because they have no real learning curve, just start kicking and you move. They are easy on the knees and a hard kick won't overwork a muscle (cramp). Some people don't care about advanced kicking techniques and just want simple ease of movement. They are really best for moving forward only.

when I was first open water recreational diving I loved them for how simple they kicked. When I got into tech they didn't deliver the types of performance I needed. If I make a recreational dive now I use my paddles as they offer me a wider range of kicks.

A little bit of history:

Pete McCarthy, an aeronautical engineer designed some fins using his knowledge and design facilities. He sold license to the design first to Apollo and then to Atomic. Both produced fins that were phenomenally effective. They had split blades. However, other fin manufacturers balked at paying to license his design so got on the splitfin bandwagon with their own designs. For example, Scubapro Twinjets sold very well but were phenomenally INeffective. Thus, the reputation of splitfins was destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom