Which of this Two Equipment Package Should I consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrvp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I have two options two purchase on scuba equipment that fits my budget of $700; following are both options with their corresponding price and equipment list. Which option would you recommend? (all equipments are new with the exception of the tank).

Option #1

Price $682
BC - Mares Spirit Jacket Style Buoyancy Compensator
Regulator - Mares MR12 Rebel Air or Nitrox Dive Regulators
Octo - Mares Rebel (Safe Second) Octopus Regulator
Analog Guage - Mares Mission 2 Scuba Diving Console
Tank – 80 CU FT Standard Aluminum Tank – Less than 5 years of use, visual inspection and hydrostatic test

Option #2

Price $702
BC - Mares Spirit Jacket Style Buoyancy Compensator
Regulator - Mares MR12 Rebel Air or Nitrox Dive Regulators
Octo - Mares Rebel (Safe Second) Octopus Regulator
Digital Console - Mares Mission Puck 2 Dive Console
Tank – NO tank

Thanks in advance for your reply :D

Pricing the components individually online with Joe Diver America:
Mares Spirit BCD - $190
Mares MR12 Rebel Regulator - $200
Mares Rebel Octo - $100
Mares Mission Puck 2 Dive console - $400
Mares Mission 2 analog console - $176

Essentially, this means that:
Option #1 - you'd be getting that used AL80 tank for about $16
Option #2 - you're getting a remarkable deal, since the package includes a nitrox-capable computer.

If I had to choose between Option #1 and Option #2, I'd probably choose the nitrox-capable computer + SPG (Option #2) over the analog gauges + tank (Option #1). Then, I'd see whether I could negotiate buying the used AL80 tank for a reasonable price. :)

For $700, I'd be purchasing a different brand of reg, BCD, and computer, but that's just my personal preference. Mares is a well-known scuba company that's been around for years. AFAIK, they do sell reliable products. Out of curiosity, why are you only considering purchasing Mares-branded gear? Perhaps your local reg tech is only authorized to work on Mares gear?

A better package would be:

HOG Backplate/Wing and Harness
HOG Regulators 1st,2 2nd's

Price is probably about the same or little less, Quality IMO is better

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/full-single-p-2095.html

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/singles-package-p-3019.html

call Mike at Diverightinscuba.com as I am sure he too will workout a deal for you (Better than advertised price)

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/ Or call and speak with Randy at Piranaha as he will work out a great package deal for you too.

But If I was going to purchase something and Only had those 2 options above I would choose Package "2"

I'm planning such a purchase in the very near future, so I'm curious too...

Pricing the components individually online with Joe Diver America:
Mares Spirit BCD - $190
Mares MR12 Rebel Regulator - $200
Mares Rebel Octo - $100
Mares Mission Puck 2 Dive console - $400
Mares Mission 2 analog console - $176

Essentially, this means that:
Option #1 - you'd be getting that used AL80 tank for about $16
Option #2 - you're getting a remarkable deal, since the package includes a nitrox-capable computer.

If I had to choose between Option #1 and Option #2, I'd probably choose the nitrox-capable computer + SPG (Option #2) over the analog gauges + tank (Option #1). Then, I'd see whether I could negotiate buying the used AL80 tank for a reasonable price. :)

For $700, I'd be purchasing a different brand of reg, BCD, and computer, but that's just my personal preference. Mares is a well-known scuba company that's been around for years. AFAIK, they do sell reliable products. Out of curiosity, why are you only considering purchasing Mares-branded gear? Perhaps your local reg tech is only authorized to work on Mares gear?
Bubbletrubble, appreciate your comment thanks.

I was considering Mares because of the price and I have try them here and was very pleased with them. What would be a manufacturer that you would recommend for $700?

Here is another option that came to my attention recently, this are all used equipment;

Price $550, (I might be able to get the offer down to $450 but it is not secure that I will)
BC – Mares Origin Sport , (has approximately 120 dives)
Regulator – Sherwood Oasis, (have close to 3 years and maybe between 150 and 200 dives)
Octo – Aqualung, (has about the same time and use as the regulator)
Analog Guage – Sherwood pressure and depth gauges
Tank – 80 CU FT Standard Aluminum Tank, (has 3 years but very few dives - visual inspection)
Belt and Weights – 12 punds

With this option I could have $250 to safe and add up later for a digital computer. What do you think about the package for $550?

I would go for $550 deal especially if it's for $450, the used gear will get you more bang for the buck if it's all in good shape, may be get a test dive in before you buy. Then take the savings and get a second tank 'cause 1 tank will just pi$$ you off. Also I like Sherwood regs, the ones I have owned have been bulletproof.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bubbletrubble, appreciate your comment thanks.

I was considering Mares because of the price and I have try them here and was very pleased with them. What would be a manufacturer that you would recommend for $700?

Here is another option that came to my attention recently, this are all used equipment;

Price $550, (I might be able to get the offer down to $450 but it is not secure that I will)
BC – Mares Origin Sport , (has approximately 120 dives)
Regulator – Sherwood Oasis, (have close to 3 years and maybe between 150 and 200 dives)
Octo – Aqualung, (has about the same time and use as the regulator)
Analog Guage – Sherwood pressure and depth gauges
Tank – 80 CU FT Standard Aluminum Tank, (has 3 years but very few dives - visual inspection)
Belt and Weights – 12 punds

With this option I could have $250 to safe and add up later for a digital computer. What do you think about the package for $550?
The issue with used equipment, particular a used reg setup, is that the gear should be inspected by a competent reg tech and overhauled if necessary. Reg overhaul including parts and labor can easily run $100. You really need to consider this in your price:value equation. Also, if you have a reg that mixes brands (Aqualung, Sherwood), this can be problematic when it comes time to have the reg setup serviced...since you'll need a reg tech who knows how to service both brands. This isn't always a big deal, but it's something you should be aware of.

For a BCD, I'd recommend getting a used one in ready-to-dive condition. I would not buy a used BCD without being able to test it out first...or given assurances by the seller that if the BCD is not 100% functional, he will accept a return. I'm sure that the Mares Sport BCD would work just fine. At $200, that sounds like a fairly economical choice, provided that you are sure it's the BCD you want.

For a budget reg, I'd probably go with a new HOG reg setup. It's got a lot of nice features, and its performance seems to be quite good. You can purchase a HOG first stage with 2 second stages and hoses from reputable online retailers for about $350. The fact that the regs are new means that, with appropriate cleaning/storage/maintenance, you should be able to get at least 2 years of issue-free diving out of the reg before getting it overhauled. Service kits are sold online at a reasonable price. Any competent reg tech who services Apeks and Apeks-like regs should have no problems servicing HOG regs.

For SPG, I'd probably go with a simple brass-and-glass gauge (approx. $50). You can probably purchase this from the same retailer who sells you the reg. Make sure that you order the SPG with a high pressure hose of the appropriate length. Standard length is approx. 32 inches. I prefer a HP hose that's a little shorter than that.

For a computer, I'd recommend getting a simple, used computer. Make sure that it is in a ready-to-dive condition, has a user-replaceable battery, is easy to use, and is easy to read. A computer that is nitrox-capable would be a bonus. Personally, I like having the option of being able to mount the computer on the wrist (using a boot + bungee cord). Good brands to look at include: Oceanic, Aeris, Mares, Suunto, Scubapro/Uwatec, etc. A while back, I purchased a used Suunto Vyper for about $100. If I had to purchase a new computer today, I'd probably end up with the Uwatec Aladin 2G.

For a tank, it pays to be patient and buy a used tank from a local seller. The last one I purchased was a used HP120 steel tank for $50. I then spent another $30 for a hydro/vis/fill. You should be able to find a used AL80 tank in that price range.

For lead weights, buy used.

Before I purchased any of the above, I'd make sure that I have a mask that fits my face and an exposure suit (wetsuit) appropriate for whatever my local diving conditions are.

These are just my recommendations. I'm sure others will have differing opinions. FWIW, there isn't anything wrong with buying a reg/BCD/computer package like you listed in your original post. Over the years, I've figured out that I have my personal preferences for scuba gear, that's all.

Good luck with everything...

If you would consider buying new gear in a package deal, I would recommend the Mares package #2 from leisurepro. It comes with the Mares Pegasus BCD with MRS plus integrated weights, Mares Prestige 12 primary reg, Prestige octo but I called and was able to get them to substitute the octo with a Mares MV octo, Mission 2 puck computer, hat, and a reg bag thats great for putting together a save-a-dive kit. After shipping it totaled out to right at $700 which I felt was a great deal. The BCD is back inflated, weight integrated, and has a crotch strap to keep it from riding up. I have a trip planned to PCB the first weekend in may so ill post back with a post-water review but I feel it will be amazing.

It seems that you like the jacket style, but I'm partial to the back inflated. Not a big fan of the jacket "squeeze".

Best of luck to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom