Which one & Why: Roatan, Belize or Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're exploring options for a diving trip next November. So, I'm hoping you, my fellow divers, to provide info on Roatan, Belize and Bonaire. I hear the no-see-ums are quite a hindrance, but the diving is lovely at all three. We prefer land-based, but would consider combining a land-based with perhaps a 3-4 liveaboard trip. We also like to explore ... hiking, historical interest points, local "secret" places.

Of, if you have someplace else you would REALLY recommend. It will be our 10 year wedding anniversary, so we're trying to plan something special ... but diving is special any time, any place! We'd be traveling from California ... and I HATE air travel except as a necessary means to a delightful end.

Thanks in advance for any info you feel like sharing.

I've been to all three. And I would go back to all three.
I'd say pick one, and knock it off the list till you finally get to all of them. They are all worthy of the air time to get there. They all having secret places to discover, maybe Belize being number one in that area. Bonaire has the " Like bath water" easy diving and tons of it. Roatan is wonderful, with it's large sea life and wall diving. And like Belize is priced a bit lower then Bonaire.
You can't wrong!
:sunny:

Natasha is right on. However there are a few other wonderful choices in the area. Have you considered Utila? A beautiful smaller island located north east of Roatan. Is is less expensive than both and certainly a much slower pace. Utila is also an English speaking island with wonderfuly friendly people. Diving is similar to the others with many options, North South East and West shores and walls. It can be reached through Roatan or from the Honduras mainland by air or ferry. Cheers

Sounds like Bonaire would be a perfect fit, especially if you are coming from Florida! Let me know if you can be of any help.

Liz

I think this may be a new record....this post is 7 years old. :)

SDScuba? That would be our dear friend Rob, former SEAL :2ar15smil who has a real honest-to-gods Doctorate in Computer :sod: Something-or-the-other.

I kid you not. :doctor: (although it is from an accredited University, it is in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) To cut him a little slack, he does home base out of San Diego, just upwind of Coronado where the BUDs take their morning stroll. His wife has a real job, similar to my situation. She supplements their income with a second job by combing the beaches looking for lost dive knives from aforementioned sailors. This is apparently a good income, as she sells them back to the sailors in a little stiletto stand by the seashore. I consider him my Life Coach and Hero.

But he does know heaps about Utila and Whale Sharks. Beer is also a specialty :coke: so occasionally his :sunny timing :icon82: can get a wee bit off.

I'm going to show him how to insert the hotlink> WSORC into his signature line. Go check it out.

If you are Utila bound and he is there, be sure to look him up. Bring your own beer because the island may be out of it by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom