Which ops DO NOT go to a lot of special/southern/northern/remote sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

I have thousands of dives under my dive belt and have dived all over the world.

Barracuda is a dangerous dive site, period. The ridge is off the NW end of the island with deep, deep water on both sides. The top of the reef is deep and the currents are normally much stronger than on the southern reefs; you cannot stop or swim against the currents there. Down currents are common and there is no where to hide on the reef (except for one saddleback about half way along). The safety stop is in blue water stop with nothing around you for orientation. When you come up, the next stop is Cuba. Twice, we surfaced in rain and were lucky the dive boat found us.

I would compare Barracuda (on most days) to dives at Coco Island where, if you get swept away, you aren't likely to be found.

My adult children are very experienced divers and I would think twice about taking them to Barracuda.

San Juan, on the other hand is just plain fun!

DSAO,
Jim

A couple of points that make Barracuda a little more risky are the current generally runs to the north so it will take you out to sea if separated from the group for some reason. At most other dive sites in Coz the current will have you running basically parallel to shore for a long, long ways before you head out to sea. Second, because it is not dived as often as the other sites there are far fewer boats around to assist you if you have some type of emergency.

Yep I understand, but not to argue about it, but everything you mentioned is as I said - in relation to the other diving in Cozumel. Those things you listed at another dive destination are just par for the course, with multiple dive sites having the same issues, or in other words just the conditions you dive in if you want to dive that destination. Having a current running out to sea instead of along the coast is not unusual, it's just unusual for Cozumel. Being at a site with very few boats or being the only boat there and being on your own is an unusual condition when compared to the rest of the diving in Cozumel, but not a terribly unusual or alarming condition elsewhere. A blue water safety stop is unusual for Cozumel, but not a particularly unusual experience in diving.

Like I said, I understand that barracuda in comparison to the rest of the diving in Cozumel is unique and more advanced, but the conditions there are not unique when it comes to diving in general, not particularly highly dangerous or unusual at all. I've dived more than a couple of dive sites just a hop skip and a jump away from Cozumel, in Isla Mujeres that contained all of the elements you listed about Barracuda and the diving is not considered dangerous or highly unique, just the normal conditions you dive in, in many dive sites not just the one.

mike - there are lots of VERY experienced divers here on SB who have had "incidents" on dive trips to Barracuda. I remember one in particular by a regular here, but I will let her give you the story again if she wants.

Like what? A mistake of what nature?

Not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but I just don't see anything unique to barracuda that a competent diver wouldn't experience in many, many, many other dive locations.

Barracuda's 'difficulty rating' to me seems to work the same what ski runs are rated, they are rated based on the mountain you are on, a black diamond run on one mountain if picked up and moved to another ski mountain might rate as only a blue run. Barracuda in relation to the rest of the diving in Cozumel might make it a black diamond, but take that dive site to another location say Saba for instance and it's nothing to talk about, it's conditions wouldn't be anything to even discuss.

For one (and probably the biggest concern), a boat that won't run. Next stop....

---------- Post added February 5th, 2013 at 04:32 PM ----------

mike - there are lots of VERY experienced divers here on SB who have had "incidents" on dive trips to Barracuda. I remember one in particular by a regular here, but I will let her give you the story again if she wants.

I don't believe "lots" is even close to correct. Big leap from "remembering one" to "lots".

Reactions: MMM
For one (and probably the biggest concern), a boat that won't run. Next stop....

The other biggie is diver separation and/or the boat captain losing track of diver bubbles. It is a very large area to look for lost divers because you will most likely being the only boat out there doing so. Well, at least until you notify the harbour master.

The other biggie is diver separation and/or the boat captain losing track of diver bubbles. It is a very large area to look for lost divers because you will most likely being the only boat out there doing so. Well, at least until you notify the harbour master.

Don't become "lost." Stay with the group. One dive shop takes a Nautilus radio on dives to Barracuda.

You should have at the very minimum: SMB, whistle, signal mirror and the skills to go north if you venture there. I'm of the opinion this should be a standard to dive anywhere with current. When diving north, with the Op I use they will borrow/lend you a SMB and whistle if your in need. Shyt does occur, even down south, be prepared. Then when on the boat you can say: "I'm glad I had..." Instead of drifting at sea saying : "I wish I had ..."
I've been left on the bottom in La Paz, after the group swam off, while having an equipment issue. I now carry a Nautilus in my BC for my own personal comfort.
YMMV

Last edited:
If only real life was this simplistic.

Actually, in this case, life is about that simple. Unfortunately, some folks seem to have lost the skills they had to learn to be successful in Kindergarten where one 5 Y/O was designated to be the line leader and the rest had to learn to follow.

If only real life was this simplistic.

If people cannot do that then they are not qualified to dive the site. Every diver should be watching over every other diver so you don't have people "get lost." If that means that everyone has to terminate the dive early because one person has a problem....such is life.

Back
Top Bottom