Which PADI specialties are useful and which ones are "underwater basket weaving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a diver who began using scuba before we had SPG's, BCs, and all that other sissy stuff, I have to wonder how any group of people can legitimately offer certifications of skill levels to anyone else. If you follow the trail of AOWs, or DMs, or Instructors, or any other specialty back far enough, you eventually reach the point where someone decided on their own that they had those skills, and not only that, but that they were in a position to certify that others did as well. There is something wrong here, fundamentally wrong. There is some kind of arrogation of authority going on that does not bear close scrutiny.

I don't dispute that many holders of such certifications are extremely competent, but I know from experience that some are not. Still, the basic premise, the start of the passing of lay diving bishoprics through the laying on of hands started somewhere, and those who started this process did so without anyone certifying their competence. That is, I think, obviously true, entirely self-evident.

The industry, the commercial organization of providers of recreational scuba services, the dive shops, boats, etc., have formed agreements over the years, and insurance companies have helped to force this process along, but the wole thing is ultimately self-serving. I find it difficult to take some of this stuff seriously. I know some super competent divers. some are DMs and instructors. Others are not. I do understand the need to regulate and certify competence in a sport that has attracted all sorts of people, but some of these 'specialties' are really ridiculous.

I've had a couple of 'instructors' at resorts become confrotational when I told them they were wrong about some things I know well. They got really cranky and peevish when they found out that I was correct. I think, all things considered, that I may start my own certification agency. It will be just as legitimate as any other. Plastic cards are easy to create. If I come up with an obscure name, with a flavor of specialized and/or foreign connections, design a nifty card layout, and print them up, I wonder if they would be accepted. Probably. I would not be breaking any laws. I have as much right to certify, through my International Pelagic Professionals Marine Skills Instute, as any other agency. There's gold in them thar skills.

Agilis:

Couldn't much the same be said about issuing driver's licenses, licenses to practice Medicine or to practice as a Pharmacist, etc...?

Not every dive professional is at the level we ideally might help, but to ditch the certification requirement entirely and just open to diving to anyone without any kind of certification at all?

I'm pretty much a 'make your own choice, take your own risk' kinda guy, and at least diving isn't as likely to kill others as driving incompetently, but for all the criticism against modern day mainstream OW training, would we be better served ditching it? I don't think so.

Just because the system we have isn't good enough according to some doesn't mean having no system would be as good or better.

Richard.

I was only half serious, drrich2, a tiny bit sardonic, but there are an absurd number of certifications, many of them more like Boy Scout merit badges at best. I agree that certification of proficiency is absolutely required. What currently exists goes way beyond such pragmatic and reasonable standards. Proportionately, I think more people are injured while skiing and mountain climbing. Who certifies a rock climbers competency? Diving is a little different because it usually requires the participation of commercial support, like boats, air fills, etc, but not all that different.

Driver's licenses are issued by the state. Making your own is illegal and fradulent. Under Patriot Act legislation making your own driver's license may put you in federal prison. Licensing MDs, Dentists. Pharmacists, etc., is also state regulated. The licenses are issued by the state, not by any private organization. Scuba certifications have no such legal status. Neither do marriage counselors in most states, or Calculus tutors.

The issuers of c cards and all their permutations have no official standing. They are self regulating, and derive all of their authority from other private entities, like dive shops and and dive boat operators, and the arrangements they have made regarding certain standards they agree to adhere to. Insurance also plays a big role, especially for those who participate in the diving itself. Still, I wonder if ski instructors are sued when one of their students hits a tree.

Because scuba certifications have no legal status I could begin my own certification agency if I wanted to. Maybe nobody would homor my certification cards, but I wouldn't bet on it. I wonder when a c card in internet scuba-related communication will be offered. Maybe there is one already.

peak performance was the most useful for me.

I also did nitrox, dry suit and ice which were also very rewarding. Then I took deep, mostly out of convenience, and because I wanted the master scuba rating. Although I like taking my camera on dives, I didn't do the photography specialty since I think you can learn everything you need to know from the photography section of this forum :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom