Which piece of gear/equipment do you wish you had bought sooner???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of interest, why is the can light so good, is it the sort of diving that you do or something else?
A really great question. Makes me realize that is tough to answer in an objective way. But, I'll try. I think the important elements of the answer include, I like having a light, and I like the convenience, reliability, and function of the can. For background, I have a 10W HID Dive Rite. The 18s are probably brighter, the lights with adjustable heads are probably even better. But, I love the one I have. The type of diving I do may have a small influence. I like wrecks, so having a light to peer into nooks and crannies to see what marine life may be hanging out there is useful. Even for daylight, good visibility, diving on modest depth coral reefs, it is nice having a light for that purpose. I bought the can light for tec, so part of the diving I do is now a bit deeper and consequently a little darker. Notably, I don’t do much night diving. I like the convenience of a can light, where I attach the weightier part – the battery - to my waist (or BP), and have only the minimal weight light head on / in my hand. With the can, and the light head strapped to the back of my hand, a hand that used to be occupied holding a portable light, and getting fatigued from the weight, is now relatively free (I happen to use a light head with an elastic strap rather than a Goodman handle, but I expect I would feel the same either way.). I like the (perceived or real) reliability of a can light. I don’t worry about whether the light is getting dim because the batteries need to be changed. Of course, I have to make sure I charge it before a dive, and that I take my charger with me on multiday trips. But, it has a four hour burn time which exceeds my (single) dive time. It provides brighter, or at least 'better', light than any portable light I have used (including a UK Light Canon). Finally, I appreciate the ‘stowability’. When I am ascending, or back in a bright zone, I turn the light off, clip the head to my harness D-ring, and stow the cable, and I don’t feel that I have a boat anchor dangling from my chest the way I did with portable lights. :wink:

Great answer Colliam, thank you!

I am glad that you didn't give the "duh coz its brighter!" kind of answer, given I already kinda figured that :) What you have described are the other, non brightness related benefits of a can light that I was hoping to understand.

Now I just want one even more!! ARGH!

ok sooo maybe i am think of a can light next?????? according to most......i might be missing something great......thanks for the in-put.

Sorry, I have to ask. Whats a BPW or BP/W? Newbie here.

Can I call my drysuit with drygloves and warm undersuits plus BP/W* and Jet/Turtle fins with spring straps one thing? Together, the kit has pretty much revolutionized where I can enjoy diving.

I'd say, "my prescription mask", but since I bought it after the very first pool session, it doesn't really count, eh?

*: BP/W = Backplate and wing. For example, mine's from DSS. Call it a modular BC made up of a metal or plastic plate, a length of webbing (with D-rings and so on), and a separate air cell (that can be swapped for different types quite easily).

I agree with Colliam7 post, can light, for sure!

1. In the north east the water is a wonderful color of green and pretty dark, without a good light, you will not see anything.

2. When running a wreck reel or searching for lobsters (or other goodies) its nice to have your other had free (I use the elastic hand mount) to grab the critters.

All the other items like BP/W are nice, but if you cant see a thing, well then a BP really isnt going to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom