Which Reel should i choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

something tells me to expect a lot of bird nesting in my life... lol

Forgot to mention, the barrels are made of a fairly crack prone plastic on the DR reels as well. Not an issue with the smaller reels, but the larger ones are gonna crack if you sit anything significant on them.

Jamming is a product of misuse, but the reels falling apart during operation isn't :)

If you are talking about my avatar, its not Ginnie, its Jackson Blue Springs(much nicer cavern IMO).

A reel is a reel is a reel... as long as it doesn't fall apart on you.

Bugman, I still think you superimposed yourself in that avatar. Bet you've never even dove Jackson Blue Springs :popcorn:

I have had both DR and Reef Scuba reels fall apart underwater.

It's the nature of the design. The reel has clearances that allow the line between the spool and frame, but not enough clearance to allow you to unwrap the line from around the axel without removing the spool. So in order to be able to unjam the reel underwater, it has to be removeable. As such it is possible for the reel to remove itself from time to time when you'd prefer it stay put.

The Salvo/Halcyon design has very tight clearances that greatly reduce the potential for the line to jam between spool and frame, while the Larry Green/Ralph Hood design is intended to be open enough to allow you to easily unwrao the line without having to remove the spool. Different approaches to the problem posed by traditional designs like the DR and Reef Scuba designs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom