Which regs are easiest to repair or cheapest to service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
By brand or model, which regs are easiest to repair? Which are cheapest to service? Which are hardest or most expensive? Which are in the middle? Please indicate some average service costs for different regs. Thanks.

Probably the simplest reg for service is the Sherwood. They are very simple regs.

The more whistles and bells you add, the more difficult the service gets. Most shops charge the same price regardless, It's still labor time and you still have to amortize the cost of the workbench over all of the regs you service.

Dave

The hardest for me is the Poseidon regs followed by the Oceanic Zeta and Omega regs. The easiest are just about any piston first stage. I really like Scuba Pro and Atomic. The Mares regs are pretty easy. Ease of service does not make it a better reg and the cost to service a harder one is that much different so don't let that influence your decision when buying one. Case in point would be Poseidon, they make great regs. I would buy one in a heartbeat but they are harder to rebuild and get right than say a Mares MR12. The MR12 isn't in the same league as far as quaility.

I just took apart (and put back together) my first ScubaPro MK2 (purchased on ebay). The hardest part was dealing with years of corrosion. I think the parts kit had 4 parts. I spent some money at ScubaTools for things like IP gauge, yoke nut socket etc. Now for the R190 I pulled off the 1st stage... It's been soaking (more corrosion) for at least a week. I hope I can get it apart without breaking the plastic.

There is no reg that is really easier than another. It is all relative. If you drive a compact, driving a truck may be difficult. On the other hand if you drive a truck a compact may seem difficult. To me Apeks regs are dirt simple, but then again pistons aren't challenging either.
As for service price, I have never come across a shop that charges a different price for service depending on the type of reg. The price difference is usually in the parts. Hope this helps.

even with the regs that have a lifetime warranty the shop still charges you for the labor, the manufactur pays for the parts.ken

Only for the money, get the NEW MK2/R190 and use it as long as you need service. Probably it will last two or three years without a service. Of course, you have to rinse it religiously in the meantime. And then sell yours at eBay by telling need the service. And you get another new one. If then, you don't need to have any service tool, part and manual. It is like an automobile lease...

You know what.... That is the reason why manufactures are providing the lifetime parts only in US... Otherwise, nobody buys the regulator from the authorized dealers at that price. The Labor charge is already up to most so, manufactures keep raising the price to meet the ratio between labor and MSRP... They aren't stupid animal.

Buy This reg Use it for 2 years or 100 dives and then sell it or throw it away. My LDS charges $48 to service a regulator (plus parts). If you buy a reg for $100 there is no reason to service it.

Back
Top Bottom