Which Retractble Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The compass on my Oceanic OCI isn't cutting it. I need a standalone unit. I would prefer something retractable. It looks like the Suunto and Sherwood get good reviews. The Suunto is $50 more than the Sherwood. Any reason for the price difference other than brand name? Which one would you get?

Suunto $150
Suunto SK8 Retractable Compass

Sherwood $100
Genesis Compass with Retractor

Last edited:
I have 2 suunto sk7 compasses on retractors...one is on a suunto retractor and the other is on a similar aftermarket retractor.

To be honest, I think the Suunto SK7 and SK8 compasses are junk....they tend to develop nearly invisible cracks in their face over time which causes the oil to leak out and air bubbles to form inside the capsule. This eventually causes the compass card in the capsule to not turn.

Multiple dive partners have had their Suunto compasses fail this way, and my wife's is on its way...it has the bubble but it has not gotten bad enough to jam up the rotating card yet. Mine is ok, but I baby the s**t out of it so as to avoid any issues.

I don't dive without a compass, but I don't need pin point accuracy nor do most dive compasses give that kind of accuracy so the next time I need to buy a compass I will most likely look for something more rugged and/or more affordable than the Suunto.

-Z

Scubapro has one as well as XS Scuba.

XS Scuba Retractable Super Tilt Compass

I have been using my SK7 on retractor for years without any issues. I need high accuracy in my U/W navigation and thus the compass on retractor or on slate with retractor are most accurate type for me.

Last edited:
I've had 2 Suuntos fail due to the microscopic cracks mentioned above. I've had a "high tilt" Sherwood for a long time.
I prefer the wrist mount / (wireless) arm-retractor.

Last edited:
I have been using this one for the past ten years, hundreds of dives and it may just start to be wearing out. It tends to catch or get stuck occasionally requiring a little shaking. Otherwise can't be beat for the price and good service all this time. I am one of those divers who carry a compass and use it on every dive. Clips on a d ring on the bottom left of my BC, right where I want to and easy to use.

Innovative Retractable Compass

Thanks for the warning on the Suunto. No reason to spend extra money on a problem with known issues.

I have the Sherwood Genesis retractable. I really like it so far. I took just didn't see that the Suunto was worth that much more money. Especially given the widely mixed reviews.

I'm going to try and do some navigation practice tomorrow with it. If I get to work on my navigation skills, I'll be able to give a better report on the Sherwood after tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom