Which Scuba Destinations Do You Consider Rather Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope I have not been there but I do have a trip booked on a liveaboard out of Hurghada next July. Being an Arizona resident I am very familiar with the Mexico border and the problem that crime and incidents cause. San Carlos Mexico is a very popular scuba destination due to location that was on the itinerary of EVERY dive shop here. It is about a 7-8 hour drive from Phoenix and was very reasonably priced. Until not too long ago all dive shops here cancelled trips there for years because of the border and cartel issues. Even though the chance of being involved in some Cartel violence was extremely low no one would even risk booking a trip or setting up a trip. There were swath's of armed federales there for protection as well.

See, I would have felt that driving between the border and San Carlos would involve MORE risk than flying in and out of Sharm (even if the worst fears prove true in the case of the recent event), but that's just my perception, and my perception could be completely screwed up. I just can't help but keep in mind that despite the event last week and scattered incidents in the past, planeloads of vacationers arrive and depart Sharm every day without incident.

See, I would have felt that driving between the border and San Carlos would involve MORE risk than flying in and out of Sharm (even if the worst fears prove true in the case of the recent event), but that's just my perception, and my perception could be completely screwed up. I just can't help but keep in mind that despite the event last week and scattered incidents in the past, planeloads of vacationers arrive and depart Sharm every day without incident.

Almost all of the trouble Americans experience in Mexico are a result of involvement with Cartel personnel and drug trafficking, not because of your American nationality. Unfortunately, there was a period that there were innocent tourists caught in the crossfire between the different cartels struggle for power. In contrast, having American nationality makes you a prime target that could very possibly get you your own unwanted youtube video. Plus, traveling with the wife and young son warrants extra precaution.

Almost all of the trouble Americans experience in Mexico are a result of involvement with Cartel personnel and drug trafficking, not because of your American nationality. Unfortunately, there was a period that there were innocent tourists caught in the crossfire between the different cartels struggle for power. In contrast, having American nationality makes you a prime target that could very possibly get you your own unwanted youtube video. Plus, traveling with the wife and young son warrants extra precaution.

At a dive resort, hotel, restaurant, etc., mingled in with hundreds of Brits, Canadians and Europeans, coming and going every day, how likely is it that someone looking for a target is going to notice you in particular, identify you as an American, and act on that? It's not like you're out there working for an NGO or something, dealing with local people, commuting from your home to work, shopping in the mall, etc. Those are the people who end up on YouTube, as you say. You're just diving and doing typical tourist stuff, like hundreds of other people. I think the kind of scenarios where an individual is victimized because of his nationality are even more unlikely than, you know, your typical act of mass terrorism. It is too bad we have YouTube and other on-line media, where we are repeatedly reminded of some unfortunate soul out of tens of thousands of foreigners in the region. A quick Google seemed to show Egypt had over 9 million visitors last year, though who knows if that's accurate. Wikitravel, which I'm sure is well out of date--but even so--says "About 9,000 British tourists are in Sharm on any given day." (No doubt the number is WAY down this week.)

I think I have more than stated my opinion on where on the spectrum of risk I think trips like these lie, and I have admitted that I have no special knowledge to support my thinking. At this point I'm just babbling and taking up space on Richard's thread, so I'll bow out. I found the topic interesting. It's interesting to see how people's perceptions of danger affect their decisionmaking.

Caves. Small enclosed spaces? Forget that nonsense! :wink:

Fully agree, won't go in there even if they were in my backyard.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2015 at 05:24 PM ----------

At a dive resort, hotel, restaurant, etc., mingled in with hundreds of Brits, Canadians and Europeans, coming and going every day, how likely is it that someone looking for a target is going to notice you in particular, identify you as an American, and act on that? It's not like you're out there working for an NGO or something, dealing with local people, commuting from your home to work, shopping in the mall, etc. Those are the people who end up on YouTube, as you say. You're just diving and doing typical tourist stuff, like hundreds of other people. I think the kind of scenarios where an individual is victimized because of his nationality are even more unlikely than, you know, your typical act of mass terrorism. It is too bad we have YouTube and other on-line media, where we are repeatedly reminded of some unfortunate soul out of tens of thousands of foreigners in the region. A quick Google seemed to show Egypt had over 9 million visitors last year, though who knows if that's accurate. Wikitravel, which I'm sure is well out of date--but even so--says "About 9,000 British tourists are in Sharm on any given day." (No doubt the number is WAY down this week.)

I think I have more than stated my opinion on where on the spectrum of risk I think trips like these lie, and I have admitted that I have no special knowledge to support my thinking. At this point I'm just babbling and taking up space on Richard's thread, so I'll bow out. I found the topic interesting. It's interesting to see how people's perceptions of danger affect their decisionmaking.

If it turns out the plane was downed by some intentional act I would imagine that the aggressors were able to identify the flight as tourists of Russian nationality. Nowadays its getting hard to even feel like your own government will give you the straight story on what happened anyway. I guess a good gauge would be just to monitor the US govt travel website and see what advisories are there like Kevrumbo suggested.

<<armed federales>> That's not comforting to me due to problems with shooting first and asking questions later. Don't entirely blame them as the people they fight carry automatic weapons too.

I'm starting to feel like we need to pass out some tinfoil hats in here.

Personally I think it is a fascinating topic and is in line with SB's goal of promoting safety to the dive community. I think it is valuable to have an honest conversation like this about these issues without a bunch of paranoia or finger pointing at specific Dive ops etc. If people talk about their personal experiences and observations honestly others can make their informed choices. It goes to the concept of "forewarned is forearmed". People may still choose to go to the same places or not, or just be more alert both choices can make a difference.

Lorenzoid.. I just want you to know that I "liked" your post not because you said you were bowing out but because I think your post(s) added a valuable well expressed opinion. :)

Yep what seems silly concern or lack of concern to a person depends on their own risk tolerance.

As I age and I realize that the risk of Cardio Vascular events such as Heart attack and stroke increase for my husband and myself I am becoming more concerned about available medical care etc. When I consider the type of diving I am prepared to take on, I also consider accessibility to a Chamber. I don't think this is being paranoid any more than buying DAN Insurance or general travel insurance is. I consider it just being sensible.

Back
Top Bottom