Which Scuba Destinations Do You Consider Rather Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is why I will reserve judgement for the details. The latest news report I have read says Egypt is backing off the mechanical failure statement and the Metrojet Deputy General says the crash could only have been caused by mechanical impact. I realize these are Egyptian and Russian sources but I will stay tuned. I travel with my wife and kids so extra precaution in necessary on my part, and have personally been knocked down a few pegs on the reality ladder before while adopting a "It can't happen to me mentality." Too many great places to spend that dive money to go somewhere that poses a personal sense of increased risk.

I don't have an "it can't happen to me mentality, either," but "can't" means zero percent likelihood. I try to keep in mind that I am statistically more likely to get killed in a traffic accident driving to the airport than I am to be a plane crash victim or victim of terrorism. If avoiding Sharm and instead choosing to dive in Cozumel reduces the likelihood of me being killed in some manner from, say, .0002 percent to .0001 percent (half as likely!), it might not be worth it to me to change my plans.

Returning to the topic of this thread, though, there are far more likely misfortunes that I might take into consideration in deciding where to travel than being being killed. Dengue and malaria, for example.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2015 at 10:41 AM ----------

Belize City. Taxi from airport to hotel at the pier. Liveaboards or resort boat to Turneffe Island Resort. We were told by the management at TIR to not to even think about walking around Belize City on our own.

Belize City, or at least the central business part of it, is bustling during the day with people "walking around." I thought it was worthwhile to see Belize City. I would not walk around at night, or through alleyways, or wear flashy jewelry, etc.--the same sort of precautions I would take anywhere. Don't look like a target.

I understand the percentages but I think we are do an apples to oranges comparison with Egypt and Coz regarding the likelihood of terrorist issues. Even though one is more likely to be involved in an auto accident than a terrorist activity doesn't justify a likely trouble free vacation in Syria or Iraq. I try to place a sensible element into the equation as well. At the very least it may add an unwanted stressful element to the trip.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2015 at 11:05 AM ----------

Whats the deal with Belize City? Robbery and muggings?

My dive group was robbed at Bonaire. A lot of petty items were stolen from our trucks which was an inconvenience and that led to us to scatter our entries and exits on different times so that someone would always be by the truck. The stolen items were recovered but it was an inconvenience.

My dive group was robbed at Bonaire. A lot of petty items were stolen from our trucks which was an inconvenience and that led to us to scatter our entries and exits on different times so that someone would always be by the truck. The stolen items were recovered but it was an inconvenience.

We just never left anything in the truck other than some old t shirts.

Trinidad - Trinidad & Tobago - click Safety/Security.

Tobago is supposed to be nice though. I haven't been to either.

Up until recently the only way to Tobago was thru Trininidad. I recently read somewhere that one U.S. airline is or has started direct flights.

I understand the percentages but I think we are do an apples to oranges comparison with Egypt and Coz regarding the likelihood of terrorist issues. . . .

How is the comparison "apples to oranges" if you're infinitesimally likely to be a terrorism victim in Sharm and, say, only half as infinitesimally likely to be a terrorism victim in Cozumel (or New York or wherever)?

Whats the deal with Belize City? Robbery and muggings?

Yep, that sort of thing. Not unlike a number of other Central American cities.

How is the comparison "apples to oranges" if you're infinitesimally likely to be a terrorism victim in Sharm and, say, only half as infinitesimally likely to be a terrorism victim in Cozumel (or New York or wherever)?

Because Sharm actually has a terrorist presence up North so I don't think the odds are as infinitesimal as Coz. Mexico also is nowhere near as politically de-stabilized as the Middle East and Egypt, and as far as I know no major airlines have suspended flights to Quintana Roo. I am in no way claiming the area is dangerous to travel to. I am merely stating that at this time it warrants some extra concern until the facts surface.

"We" love to be scared.

Yes, but I suspect 'spooked' (like standing near the lion cage at the zoo) rather than actually threatened (e.g.: hiking an area where you heard a bear killed somebody yesterday and they haven't caught it yet...). In scuba terms, a lot of people head to Guadalupe to cage dive with great whites. I suspect only a small minority get out of the cage... (Then again, there're the Tiger Beach live-aboard trips).

I'm a little surprised at what I haven't heard much of on the thread yet; mainland Mexico (a large country; I wonder what area besides Cozumel are considered safe, and which many would avoid?), Nassau (which I've been hearing about online in recent times) & Jamaica (which historically seems to carry a rep. for being rough if you get away from resorts). Then again, probably no news is good news!

Richard.

How many of us go to Indonesia given the abysmal flight safety record? I think a lot has to do with where you go and what you do when you aren't diving.

A woman was robbed in Honiara while waiting for our Bilikiki cruise. Personally I never felt unsafe in the Solomons but we never wandered around the 3rd world "slum" that is the capital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom