which scubapro reg's can match the pilot ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI OWI #8564

Registered
Reaction score
I want to get a newer scubapro reg, been using them exclusively over the years, excluding my 1st regulator, a USD double hose which I still use now and again. I used the pilot for years and some D series, still have a couple D-350's and D400, But I need poppets for the 350's that I can't find and the fact that field strip repairs are a real bummer. I'm doing a lot of beach diving now that I'm living on the Big Island and not in the dive business anymore but still doing my own repairs and I'd like to get a simpler design.
But I love the fact that they breath consistently good no matter what body position your in. My question is can any other design achieve this? Like the ones with the flow adjusters and predive switches like the s-600? And if it field strips easily that's even better...

I want to get a newer scubapro reg, been using them exclusively over the years, excluding my 1st regulator, a USD double hose which I still use now and again. I used the pilot for years and some D series, still have a couple D-350's and D400, But I need poppets for the 350's that I can't find and the fact that field strip repairs are a real bummer. I'm doing a lot of beach diving now that I'm living on the Big Island and not in the dive business anymore but still doing my own repairs and I'd like to get a simpler design.
But I love the fact that they breath consistently good no matter what body position your in. My question is can any other design achieve this? Like the ones with the flow adjusters and predive switches like the s-600? And if it field strips easily that's even better...
Scubapro still makes service kits for the D400 which include the same poppet that the D350 uses. The Poseidon Xstream certainly will breath well in any position, is easier to service and adjust in the filed (in fact nothing is easier to adjust on the fly) but wont breath as lightly and smoothly as the pilot and D-series Scubapros. The new D420 is a modern D-series revival but it lost the coaxial diaphragm so doesn’t quite breath equally in all positions (but close).

Scubapro still makes service kits for the D400 which include the same poppet that the D350 uses. The Poseidon Xstream certainly will breath well in any position, is easier to service and adjust in the filed (in fact nothing is easier to adjust on the fly) but wont breath as lightly and smoothly as the pilot and D-series Scubapros. The new D420 is a modern D-series revival but it lost the coaxial diaphragm so doesn’t quite breath equally in all positions (but close).
^---- This!

If I were picking today, I'd be divided between a SP Mk19/D420 and an Atomic T3 or ST1. Choose if you have a strong piston/diaphragm preference.
If ease of breathing in any position were more important, I'd pick Poseidon XStream. Same if performance at significant depth were key.
If ease of service all around were key, I'd pick Scubapro (parts and shops available world-wide).

But all three are technically very easy to service.
Atomic's QC is currently better. But any discrepancies are easily remedied by a competent shop.

Ok first let me say thanks, good to know I've got a great source for good information and advice !! Now what's caught my attention the most is the fact that I may still have hope for my D-350's. I've included a pic of the poppets their using, I have yet to see another one like it. I've also uploaded a pic of repair kit D - 400 11.012.04 that includes a poppet. Are these interchangeable ?
D-350 poppet.JPG scubapro-kit-d350-d400-.jpg

Ok first let me say thanks, good to know I've got a great source for good information and advice !! Now what's caught my attention the most is the fact that I may still have hope for my D-350's. I've included a pic of the poppets their using, I have yet to see another one like it. I've also uploaded a pic of repair kit D - 400 11.012.04 that includes a poppet. Are these interchangeable ?
View attachment 637562 View attachment 637563
They are interchangeable, just plastic vs metal stem. Also, the D400 kit doesn’t include a few static o-rings that may need to be changed but you can source them yourself or just get a complete kit form @rsingler. Or just mail the reg to him and have it serviced and tuned to perfection by a true expert.

Since you still have D350s and D400s, you will not find a better performing new 2nd stage. It doesn't exist IMO. You can easily still service the D series regs if all you need is the poppet and o-rings. Some parts, like the plastic aspirator, could be hard to find at some point, but they only get replaced if they break.

If you want simple and easier to work on, the best bet IMO would be a 109 or balanced/adjustable 2nd stage with a new lever, spring, and s wing poppet, all of which are readily available. It won't breathe as easily in face-up positions as the D series, but it will perform extremely well. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'field strip repairs' but the D series regs can be dismantled partially by hand with no tools, underwater if necessary. Full rebuilds take a spanner and small hex key. For the 109, you need a small screwdriver or hex key to dismantle them, but once apart they are extremely simple, like 2 o-rings and a seat simple.

I have a few pilots, both original and converted; the converted ones breathe just about as well and are much easier to work on. They are essentially a D series reg in a metal case. Some delicate parts, especially the diaphragm, are easy to tear during rebuild and very difficult to find. I enjoy working on and using my pilots occasionally, but 95% of my diving is done with either a D300 or balanced/adjustable. That includes cave diving.

So IMO there is no reason for getting a new regulator if you like the D350 or 400s that you have, unless you don't feel capable of working on it (understandable, many dive shop techs can't work on them) in which case try one of the 109s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom