Which semi-dry: Bare, Mares, or O'neill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been shopping for a semi-dry, and I've happen upon some good deals on the current designs of the Bare 8/7 Velocity, Mares Isotherm, and the O'neill J-type. I'm kinda partial to the Mares since my current suit is a Mares and I know how well they fit me, but anyone had any experience with any of these suits? And up front, I'm not interested in a dry-suit, so please don't bother going down that route. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have an O'Neill SCS 9/7/6mm Polar. I thought it was the best suit. But have had some problems due to fit. So the suit that fits the best it the way to go. My arms are too tight and I have to lube them. It is easy to get on other than that. It has ankle zips. I have to ask someone to help zip up the chest zipper. I have torn the suit a couple of times when taking it off and have had to repair it.

Currently use an Isotherm, no gripes. I am amazed how water tight it actually is. Yes you still get water, but it's no where near like a wet suit. I run into the occasional issue with trapped air and need to burp the suit, when that happens, that's when I get water inside it. Rolling the wrist and ankle seals are the only real tricks the suit, follow Mares instructions and you'll be fine.

I'll add one to the mix. I looked at all of them and ended up with the Waterproof Taurus. Had the best construction BY FAR and I never get wet AT ALL. I've got over 100 dives on mine and it still looks new. I can't recommend it highly enough

I'll add one to the mix. I looked at all of them and ended up with the Waterproof Taurus. Had the best construction BY FAR and I never get wet AT ALL. I've got over 100 dives on mine and it still looks new. I can't recommend it highly enough

The taurus was on my list, but since Waterproof has discontinued the standard version, my size is no longer anywhere to be found.

The taurus was on my list, but since Waterproof has discontinued the standard version, my size is no longer anywhere to be found.

You could go for the "combat" model. Only difference is it's black and has pockets... AFAIK it's still in production

You could go for the "combat" model. Only difference is it's black and has pockets... AFAIK it's still in production

It's also $850 to $1000, which is absurd when the standard version is $400 and the only difference is being blue and black and no pockets. I'd go for the Scubapro Everydry4 before spending that much, but that's not the point. If someone had a standard Taurus in a 2XL+ for the $400 Waterproof is selling them for, I would be game, but my choices are now between the 3 I mentioned at the start.

I second the Waterproof semidry. The new W2 7mm keeps me warm and dry at 7 deg C (about 45 deg F)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom