Which sharks to cook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pierre Siquet

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here.... don't flame...

after tons of dives in Vietnam, I could not see a single shark, except in food business, which really sucks.

I wanted to know which species of sharks are :

1. legally fished.
2. ethically fished.

For legally, I just except protected species and local regulations (if right).

Ethically is very vague (rare but not protected species, fishing method,...), but ethic is what can really hurt big business.

Thanks

Pierre

Whatever shark you catch, I don't reccomend eating large ones. Due to bio-magnification in predators large sharks usually have high amounts of mercury adn other biotoxins in thier flesh. Small ones are tasty, Blacktips are highly regarded.

However, due to slow reproductive rate I don't eat very many of the sharks I catch.
hooking a shark in the surf is a great fight though. Great way to hang out at the beach.

In the Gulf of Mexico (under US regs) any shark is legal to catch...

We used to bring home Black-Tips up to about 4 ft (couldn't spend a day offshore without catching at least a couple).

Cut into steaks, marinate however you like, and cook 'em on the grill ... mmmm, tastey !!!

In Asia, where you, Pierre , and I are, any shark is fair game except for Whale shark. Sharks are fished here mainly for their fins which is the main ingredient in shark fin soup. It is traditionally served during festive occasions especially wedding celebrations. To be able to serve that is a sign of affluence and with the growing affluent population of the Peoples Republic of China, I am afraid that the demand has more than tripled over the last decade.

yep, fin soup is a shame. Most they just cut the shark alife and just drop him back without fins in the blue. Shame to release them alive (of course, most die in the nets), and shame to kill it only for the fins.
In the asian diver magazine, there was picture of soup with human ears. Good comparison. Not sure they shave the hairs and clean inside the hole before boiling.

Back
Top Bottom