Which sharks to cook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't set up your shark bbq around here. you'd have a hard time finding one. numbers in the northeast are down drastically. apparently you used to see sharks on most wrecks. these days you have to be very lucky. i don't think there is a shortage of studies on the plight of sharks confirming that they are in dire need of help.

So in other words you don't have any information that lists species by species what the biomass is or if it is overfished.They tried this with the gropuper/snapper fishery too,but the Gulf council delisted grouper 2 years ago.Making general claims about whole fisheries doesn't put your case in a good light.In Fla Large Coastal Sharks are in decline and most are protected.Trip limit have been in place for years for rec fishermen.The sharks here don't often migrate into Intl waters and few are fished commercially.You really don't have a clue what's going on here.If Florida(and the Gulf) wanted fisheries management like they have in the NE we'd have collapesed stocks like you do,instead we have sppecies being de-listed from the overfished catagory and in the case of redfish a whole new sportfishing industry has been built on it's return.The chip on my shoulder is there because well-meaning ,un-informed do-gooders are constanly trying to come between the sacred bond I have with my creator to use his bounty and be a good steward of it.BTW context is everthing and the tone of a conversation says as much as the content:wink:

100days-a-year:
If Florida(and the Gulf) wanted fisheries management like they have in the NE we'd have collapesed stocks like you do,instead we have sppecies being de-listed from the overfished catagory and in the case of redfish a whole new sportfishing industry has been built on it's return.

There is not a single part of that quote that I can possibly argue with - you're right.

Again, I'm not a Greenpeace wacko. Just a guy who wants to see sharks regulated on a much grander, federal scale. You're right - it should be done species by species.

I venture a guess that the species in trouble are offshore and pelagic species. I have seen a dramatic decline in blues and makos alone.

100days-a-year:
So in other words you don't have any information that lists species by species what the biomass is or if it is overfished..

Something in that much detail does not exist in any comprehensive way. The best sources for up to date statistics are FISHBASE (www.fishbase.org) and this awesome report by Castro et al. (1999).

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/X2352E/x2352e00.htm#Contents

Here's what the National Marine Fisheries Service says...

In recent years, sharks have been heavily exploited as a result of
increased demand for their meat, fins, and cartilage. In addition,
mortality is reported to be high for sharks that are caught as bycatch
in the swordfish, tuna, and shrimp trawl fisheries. The 1994 Shark
Evaluation Workshop (SEW) determined that the large coastal species
group is overfished and that the pelagic and small coastal species
groups are fully fished. The SEW concluded that increases in the quota
for large coastal sharks in 1995, as planned in the FMP, could
jeopardize stock recovery.

Genesis:
Jewfish. And they're best shot with a powerhead :devious:

(Just kidding.... :D)

Still no rules against self defense, ya just can't land 'em. Both the jews and large toothy boneless critters are a life threatening hazard if "trained" by the reef huggers feeding them to associate divers with food. Being bumped or bit by a "trained" bull shark will change the attitude of the "save 'em all" folks right quick. ANY large critter that comes to the sound of a speargun or bubbles is a serious hazard.

FT

FredT:
ANY large critter that comes to the sound of a speargun or bubbles is a serious hazard.
FT

FINALLY I have a valid reason to shoot my dive partners!! And their's no catch limit!

FredT:
Still no rules against self defense, ya just can't land 'em. Both the jews and large toothy boneless critters are a life threatening hazard if "trained" by the reef huggers feeding them to associate divers with food. Being bumped or bit by a "trained" bull shark will change the attitude of the "save 'em all" folks right quick. ANY large critter that comes to the sound of a speargun or bubbles is a serious hazard.

FT

You got that right.

I haven't had to shoot a Jew yet, but I have had one take a fish off a spear for me - and no, he did not give it back :D

I thought I was going to have to pop a Bull a month or so back - fortunately he decided he wasn't THAT hungry...... a .30 caliber headache was on his agenda if he kept up what he was doing though....

FT is right - DO NOT feed the "fish" - if they start associating divers with "food" then you're going to have a REAL bad day in the water some time, and it will be considerably worse if you do NOT have a speargun (what do you propose to defend yourself with - your bare hands?!)

At least with a speargun you can shoot him in the gills if necessary. The shark may be hungry, but he's not interested in getting hurt in order to feed.

according to this web site here is a list of the most endangered sharks of the world, also some others articles discussing the problem

http://www.bite-back.com

Top 20 Endangered Shark Species of the World

1. Ganges shark
2. Borneo shark
3. Basking shark - North Pacific & Northeast Atlantic sub-populations
4. Speartooth shark
5. Whitefin Topeshark
6. Angular Angel shark - Brazilian sub-population
7. Smoothback Angel shark
8. Spinner shark - NW Atlantic sub-population
9. Pondicherry shark
10. Smoothtooth Blacktip