Which side for safe 2nd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i believe placing your secondary on the same side as with your primary is also for your own safety... in instances wherein your primary gets yanked out, either way if you reach from your right you'll always find a hose of either of your reg's second stage...
however, should you put one on your left, there's always the inflator hose that gets in the way from you reaching for the redundant air source...
on Rich's advice, i think it's DIR, and in fairness, the idea is very sound...

I teach both the octo on the left and bungied under the chin. Both work well. Positioning comes from mission specific diving.

Each agency has thier ways and reasons.

It is your training and programming that count. If you practice often when the time comes to use it it wont matter where or how you carry your octo.

Just practice and keep your emergency plan in your head and don't worry about the small stuff.

Hallmac.

joele once bubbled...
on Rich's advice, i think it's DIR, and in fairness, the idea is very sound...
Hogarthian.

Hogarthian predates DIR, and refers only to a gear configuration.
DIR goes beyond pure Hogarthian in gear config, and encompasses dive protocols.

rich,

i'm now interested in hogarthian...
please tell me more about it...
however, does hogarthian says that the octo should come from the left?
enlightening me will surely be appreciated...

joel e

joele once bubbled...
i'm now interested in hogarthian...
please tell me more about it...
however, does hogarthian says that the octo should come from the left?
enlightening me will surely be appreciated...
Hogarthian refers ONLY to the gear configuration, and is what the DIR configuration was built around.
Regarding the regulator arrangement, you donate the reg from your mouth and your backup is under your chin. Hogarthian does not require a 7-foot primary hose, but common sense would dictate that it be longer than the standard 28" stock hose... you at least want it to be a 36" "octo" hose, but I run 7ft in all conditions.
Beyond that, it includes the use of a backplate/wing style BCD. It's all a matter of simplifying and streamlining.

DIR built upon the Hogarthian configuration (named after William Hogarth Main) and added various safety protocols regarding team procedures and basic diving "common sense", as well as further refining the gear configuration to enhance safety and reduce entanglement hazards.

see:
http://www.wkpp.org
http://www.gue.com

If you attach you alternate to the left side of your first stage and have it avalable on your left side, isn't it upside-down (exhaust-T up) when you put it in your mouth?

Doesn't that complicate things?

Maybe I'm missing something.

If you are just putting it into your mouth from the left the answer is yes. You are also allowing the long hose to float out and create a huge snag point.

The correct way is to breath it is to loop it around so the hose runs across your belly and then turns up towards your head. With the hose now on the right the second stage is in the correct orientation and the hose is tucked away nice and close.

the real benefit to this set up is during the air sharing ascent with your buddy.

Hallmac

Different agencies teach different ways of doing it. They've done a good job of making this complicated.

I was taught to route it on the left side. If the octo hose is routed on the right side it will be upside down for the OOA diver. Using a yellow primary regulator is just asking to have it ripped out of the mouth unexpectedly in an actual OOA situation, so we don't do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom