Which size shall I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyrandom

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for another sizing question. I usually wear US 8-8.5 (male) shoes. I am trying to buy a pair of force fin pro. I would like to be able to wear it in barefoot (possibly with socks) or with hard sole boots.
On the website it says that if I wear it in barefoot with comfort instep, I need to buy a ML one. However, if I want to wear hard sole boots/dry suit boots with it, I should buy the Large one.
My questions is, which size shall I buy? Or shall I just buy the original adjustable force fin.
Also, on force fin website it says that force fin pro is not good for snorkelling while original force fin is. Is it true? Because I still do snorkel pretty much. I would like to buy one pair of fin to fit both.

If you have a local dealer, go in with your boots and try a few pair on. The comfort insert is a nice way to get one pair of fins that will do double duty.

I wear a size 8.5"-9" shoe using my booties 3mm I wear a size L with this (original force fins) can go up to a 5mm bootie ,barefoot would not work for me, maybe a M/L would? I also use the original strap not the bungi straps for these fins and can snug them down good.For Drysuit diving I use another pair of force fins in XL with a bungi strap and they work with my EVO boots. As far as snorkeling with them they will work but, are very ineffiecent at the surface IMO. Not sure if this helps you or not??

I have used FF adjustables, FF pros and FF FT1's for snorkeling without any problems whatsoever. If you keep the fins submerged they work very well.

I have a pair of adjustables and I used them for seven years in all kinds of environments. I really enjoyed them and the held up very well to some pretty harsh environments. My only problem which was minor was when I would put them on with my dry suit and gloves already on it was hard to position the comfort instep that was on the foot strap. Now that I have my two different sized FF Pros I have not had a single problem. As for size sorry I cannot help you since I am a 12.5 US and us XXL Pros for my wetsuit boots and XXXL Pros with my drysuit and amphib boots. I would recommend you work to find the right size FF original or pros.

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Mark D.

Get the Large and a pair of the comfort insteps. It will take a L and make it a ML for you barefoot. I always recommend going this way, as the polyurethane isn't that comfortable on your barefoot anyway, the instep is nice and soft and will help prevent rubbing and blisters.

There has been some great feedback from the Force Fin users and supporters on the board. Thank you to all! Polyrandom you are on the cusp of sizing and are a perfect candidate to take advantage of the Force Fins 30 day policy – dive, use the fins as much as possible and if the fins do not fit or you are not satisfied return them and Force Fins will get you new fins or your money back- I am hoping you are in an area that has a shop that carries Force Fins as well, because there is nothing like trying them on.

Force Fin sizing is more for width than length, so the size will depend if you have a normal, narrow or wide foot with a normal or high arch. The difference in the boots you use will also make a difference in the size that fits comfortably. Boots with a thick sole or drysuits that have a rock boot style will need a larger size than recommended.

The originals are a better fin for surface swimming in the snorkel position, but as mentioned the PROS will work. You have to decide if you snorkel more, 50% or dive more. I would recommend the Originals per the info in your post.

With that said I would like to present you with some options.
#1 Do you really want to use the fins barefoot without boots? If so I would choose a ML with a comfort instep. Comfort instep instep_product are the best sizing tool and I recommend them with all fins as you never know how you would like to change what you wear on your feet.

#2 Adjustable Force Fins will work for your soft sole bootie, hard sole wetsuit boots and drysuit. Unfortunately your foot might be too small to use this model barefoot.

#3 Original Large forcefindive_product Force Fins with a comfort instep. This would be my choice out of all the options. This would allow you to use your wetsuit boots and your drysuit.- wetsuit with comfort instep and without for your drysuit

Some great posts on this thread and I hope with all of this you can make a choice that will work for you! Please keep us informed as you are not the only one whose foot is on the cusp of the sizes Force Fins and your results will be very helpful to others.

For heel strap options - a reminder to everyone out there - you can adjust the tension of your bungie heel strap
YouTube - FORCE FIN Bungie HEEL STRAP adjustment

Thank you for all your replies. I hadn't expected so many good advices and I am really grateful for that.

It seems that from barefoot to drysuit boot is a bit wide. Actually I think I would mainly use soft soul boots and sometimes hard soul boots. It looks like Large is the size to go.

If I buy a pair of Large force fin and comfortable instep, does that mean I could wear soft soul boots with comfortable insteps and hard soul boots without it?

Also, unfortunately I am in Australia and I cannot find an LDS selling Force Fin. I did check their website but cannot find any distributor in AU. I have some friends visiting US next week so I will ask them to buy a pair for me. I have tried Scubatoys but they don't have it., can anyone recommend me an online dive shop for that? Also, could you please also recommend a pair of soft soul boots for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your offer. My colleague will go to Austin tomorrow and he will try the LDS for me to see if I can get any luck to avoid the international postage. Otherwise I will just order through you. But whether I am (or he is) lucky or not, the final result would be a pair of Force Fin Pro, Size Large. and yes, they are yellow :)

Back
Top Bottom