Which SP reg for a pony, and which to get down and very, very dirty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also now that I have various buddies instead of one buddy with identical gear, I want to make sure my buddies are comfortable and understand my setup.

I know there’s one guy on here that bungees his reg in his mouth so if he passes out or something it’s there

I do that, don't know if I am 'that' guy though.
I started doing that after a bad dose of alternoberic vertigo, solo. Initially thought I was strokin out.
Mk2 for your pony, I use one. It is a basic, robust reg. The lower body (containing the piston) can be removed easily if a thorough cleaning is needed.
I do prefer sealed regs though and dive older Sherwood firsts as primary.

@sbijou by with bungee do you mean octo with bungee or air2 as octo and primary second stage with bungee?
If you are using an Air2 as your backup, you need to make sure your primary is on a long enough hose to donate and easily donated (i.e. not a short hose with bungee).

I do prefer sealed regs though and dive older Sherwood firsts as primary.

I too dive older Sherwood first stages. But I don’t use them as stage regulators. From my understanding, if you leave the tank off, the dry air bleed can let water in. And proper procedure for bottles is to have them off when not in use. Do others use Sherwood firsts for stage bottles?

MK20, S550, Air2
MK2, R395, R395 octo
I'd leave the MK20/S550/Air2 as the primary setup and use the MK2/R395 Octo for pony and the extra R395 as spare. (You need to have your S550 on a long hose, 40", since it will be the one to donate and you'd use the Air2).

BTW, I think that you can get the MK20 upgraded to be a MK25 and, but not sure, the S550 to an S600.

I wouldn't personally use either of those regs for the dive that you are describing. For silty and cold dives I prefer sealed diaphragm regs. If you want to stick with SP, the MK17 is your best bet or go with a TUSA 790 and get two of them for your pony and primary.

My experience is very different from yours, I have used, and so many friends, the MK20 in New England, NY and NJ for years in the middle of the winter including Dutch Springs in PA without any issues with cold (not ice diving however). I have serviced them for years and never had issues with them because of "silt" or anything else. If one is diving in the Hudson River looking for dead bodies under the Tappan Zee, perhaps there maybe an issue but this isn't even remotely connected with what the OP is planning to do at all.

Last edited:
This isn't true at all, not even close. I have used, and so many friends, the MK20 in New England, NY and NJ for years in the middle of the winter including Dutch Springs in PA without any issues with cold (not ice diving however). I have serviced them for years and never had issues with them because of "silt" or anything else. If one is diving in the Hudson River looking for dead bodies under the Tappan Zee, perhaps there maybe an issue but this isn't even remotely connected with what the OP is planning to do at all.

I've used MK25s, MK17s and alot of other regs in the exact same water as you. I posted what I would personally do and which regs I prefer to dive in cold water and in silt. So, you can take a step back, since there is nothing that I posted that isn't true or false for that matter.

I too dive older Sherwood first stages. But I don’t use them as stage regulators. From my understanding, if you leave the tank off, the dry air bleed can let water in.

Correct

This isn't true at all, not even close. I have used, and so many friends, the MK20 in New England, NY and NJ for years in the middle of the winter including Dutch Springs in PA without any issues with cold (not ice diving however). I have serviced them for years and never had issues with them because of "silt" or anything else. If one is diving in the Hudson River looking for dead bodies under the Tappan Zee, perhaps there maybe an issue but this isn't even remotely connected with what the OP is planning to do at all.

I wish that were true...
My service experiences suggest otherwise.
Muck plus unsealed pistons, despite soaking and "flushing" = shortened lifespan.
Piston or diaphragm

I've used MK25s, MK17s and alot of other regs in the exact same water as you. I posted what I would personally do and which regs I prefer to dive in cold water and in silt. So, you can take a step back, since there is nothing that I posted that isn't true or false for that matter.

I have re-read my post and it doesn't come out right, please accept my apologies!!!

I am going to reword it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom