Which SP reg for a pony, and which to get down and very, very dirty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Two Scubapro Regs:
MK20, S550, Air2
MK2, R395, R395 octo

This is really three questions:
1) Given these two regs, which would you make your primary and which make a pony?
2) Given these two regs, would you combine second stages make a setup with a long, or long-ish hose and necklaced short hose backup, or would you stick with the Air2 only, or both
3) Given these two regs, if you lived near the ocean but your ocean was a blackwater silt dive (Savannah, GA), which would you allow to get that dirty, or would you never let them near that muck?

I would run a primary tank with mk20, s550, r395 on bungee.
Pony with a mk2, and an r395.
I'd ditch the air2 for a normal inflator. Then diligently soak and rinse your gear. After every dive, in warm water. I would also stay on top of the yearly inspections and maintenance.

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking, except I still like the streamlining of the Air 2.

I've done the Air 2 for all the reasons everyone has stated including streamlining, but my favorite rig to date features a 40" inch under arm on universal swivel, with bungee. It just feels and works better - streamlining, better equipment performance, and the easiest ability to find and utilize second stages if a problem develops while maintaining proper buoyancy. Try different configurations if you can and see what works best for you.

I wouldn't personally use either of those regs for the dive that you are describing. For silty and cold dives I prefer sealed diaphragm regs. If you want to stick with SP, the MK17 is your best bet or go with a TUSA 790 and get two of them for your pony and primary.

@sbijou by with bungee do you mean octo with bungee or air2 as octo and primary second stage with bungee?

I know there’s one guy on here that bungees his reg in his mouth so if he passes out or something it’s there

Any reduction in drag by going to a DuoAire, Air2 or similar is mostly in your mind. I doubt that you could quantify it. I keep meaning to sell mine, but never seem to find a round tuit to facilitate that process.

I wouldn't personally use either of those regs for the dive that you are describing. For silty and cold dives I prefer sealed diaphragm regs. If you want to stick with SP, the MK17 is your best bet or go with a TUSA 790 and get two of them for your pony and primary.
Thanks that’s good info... saving my regs for cleaner water I guess.

Any reduction in drag by going to a DuoAire, Air2 or similar is mostly in your mind. I doubt that you could quantify it. I keep meaning to sell mine, but never seem to find a round tuit to facilitate that process.
It’s not so much drag reduction as simplicity that appeals... one less hose, especially as I already have two hoses on my right. But I have never tried the other setups, and would like too, as so many people I respect seem to prefer them.

Back
Top Bottom