Which Strobe DS-51 or 125??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm moving up in UW photo gear from a Sealife DC500 to a Nikon 5100 or 6000 P&S, plus an Ikelite housing. Question is: Do I go with the DS-51 or 125?

I've read a lot on SB and other places and am tending toward the 51 since I'll start with a single, but probably go to twins down the line. I'll be getting the Ikelite WA lens with the housing.

I take everything from macro to WA. I've shot over 10,000 pictures with the DC500, so I'm confortable UW with the gear but it's time to move on. Most of the diving is warm water (above 60 F) in reasonably clear conditions (viz >40').

I work with a LDS, so I'll get a big break on price. I'll probably wait for the P6000 unless I can get a great deal on a P5100.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DS 125 is the perfect strobe.
Cycle time is wonderful, total battery life is also wonderful.
Then you add the intensity, usable angle, color temperature, its very well rounded.

Also, you can turn down a 125 and throw on a deffusior if its to much. Once a 51 is maxed out you can't make it brighter.

The DS-125 looks to be being phased out as Ike just brought out a DS-160. The 160 is priced at about $150-200 above the 125 and at $1,139 on most web sites for the EV controler package is a good deal. Get as much strobe as you can so that you can grow with it and not need to replace it.

The 160 also has a 5 watt LED modeling light which will come in very handy for strobe placement and aiming.

The 125 has a modeling light as well.
I have not heard Ike is going to bag the 125. The new 160 still takes 1.5 sec to recycle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom