Which Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnishio

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to be diving off Maui in early May and wanted to get opinions on whether a 3mm or 5mm suit would be better? I know everyone is different and it often depends on the number of dives, etc. But wanted to get some feedback from those on the Island or that are regulars.

Thanks!

dnishio:
Going to be diving off Maui in early May and wanted to get opinions on whether a 3mm or 5mm suit would be better? I know everyone is different and it often depends on the number of dives, etc. But wanted to get some feedback from those on the Island or that are regulars.

Thanks!
I did Oahu in October and the temps were in low 70's. 3mm without hood worked just fine for me. Some locals were in trunks at 85 fsw. Have fun!

Last May in Maui was mid-70's... my 3mm shorty was more than sufficient.

I'd think a 3mm suit would be fine. I bought one my first day on Maui in 2002, and it kept me warm for a week's worth of diving 3-5 times a day.

It's coming with me again next month. I think I'd prefer a shorty, but my full suit works fine there.

-B

Mid May on Maui last year my computer read 78-80 at most dive sites. I wore a 3 mil and was very comfortable.

Thanks everyone - the advice and comments were greatly appreciated.

3/2 and I like full length just for the coral protection.

Last time we dove in Maui (early April last year) the water was 74 degrees. I wore a 3mil shorty, my husband wore a 3mil full suit, and another guy on our boat wore a 5mil full suit with a 3mil vest over the top, and complained it was cold. Now for a little perspective....he was from South Florida and only dove when the water was 80 degrees or better, so for him 74 was like an icebox.

We're heading back to Maui this summer, and although the water will be much warmer (should be 80 or so), we'll both wear our 3mil full suits for warmth and critter protection. Depending on your tolerance for cold, either a 3mil full suit or a shorty would be appropriate.

Hi, don't want to hijack a thread but i was wondering,

I'm diving off the Kona side of the Big Island in middle of March and i get cold really easily. Is a 5mil gonna be overkill or should i take a 3mil full?

Austin it would be over kill for me but then again maybe my thermostat is set higher. Depends on how easily you chill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom