which video camcorder and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK I know this is dollar signs ,
what video camera do you all use that is current and housing ?
going to add lights , so any recommendations there are so many choice , want to be able to use camcorder on land too.
i have the ikelite JVC Picsio GC-FM1 Compact Video Package not real impressed but OK time to go next step .

Some Idea of budget would help. Also water conditions where you shoot. And desired depth rating. Is that a $1000-2000 next step? Or $3000-5000? Or more? And does that include lights?

My current favorite is the Sony CX-550v or XR-550v - same camera with either SDHC card storage or HDD. It's also the latest in the Sony line. Street price right now is $1K for either.

I'm an Amphibico user so either their EVO Elite HD II housing - $2500 or the Light & Motion Bluefin/Bluefin+ $2800/$3800. Gates is also another good option if you like mechanical controls - $2500. Wider Angle glass can almost double that.

Ikelite also sells a lower cost housing for the camera - as does Ocean Imaages.

Or get equally good results with the Canon HFS-11 (or whatever the current model is) in an Ikelite or Gates housing.

Lights - The Sola 600's from L&M, the Fix 1000's or Aditech has two new lights VC-2L6/4L6 that double the light output of anything else I've seen. Their bigger light is over 4000 lumens - $949. All are LED lights. Any of them should price around $2000-2500 including arms and housing adapters etc.

Every camera works fine on land. The housing is the adaptation.

thanks for getting back guess first think I know to do this right going to cost me $1000 for cam
figure $1000-2000 case figure lights going be another #1000 plus I am sure
I have two of the ikelite 6320 Pro-V8 LED Video Light so if i stayed with ikelite could be little cheaper yes would like wide angle .
mainly my depth will be under 150 mostly tops 130 . filming off NC coast mainly wrecks maybe future some Fla caves caverns . looking at my next step oh boy .

Since you have the Ikelite lights, I'd save a bunch of money and just use them. Your arms are made from loc-line tubing and adapters should be available that will fit other housings. Check the Reef Photo website, they list a lot of small parts like that. With 2 lights, you've got 1020 lumens, that's plenty of light - the Sola's are 600 lumens each by comparison - and don't have the runtime yours do. All you'd be paying for is a smaller sized lighthead.

Everybody seems to be coming out with ever cheaper and more powerful LED lights so you can upgrade later if you feel the need to do so.

Within your budget, look at the L&M Stingray housing G2 also. It's $1999. It's a flat port housing with a back mounted monitor - among other features:
Our pre-programmed one touch white balance control sequences a series of camera commands with a single button press.
Notice that on the Features tab under Portable there's a picture of the housing with their Sola lights using your arms.

Or Amphibico has a cost-reduced version of their housing - it's their EVO with a fixed flat port (not upgradeable) for $1500. A flat port is also very good for macro. The housing does have every other feature of the EVO except for the port. Including MWB for the CX/XR 550's. It also has standard mounts for your lights with the appropriate adapter. Housings :: Dive Buddy Housing (front glass only) - Amphibico Underwater video Housing Store

If you ever go deeper, the L&M or Amphibico housings will go to 330' - Ikelite is 200' IIRC. Aren't there some deep wrecks off NC?

wow so many choices too bad none puts a package deal together with cam and housing lol make life easier . seems most recommend Sony or cannon either be fine to me . just needs to be rugged as the seas in NC can be rough at time typical seas 2-6 ft with some currents , long ride times typically hr , viability 20-100 feet . my max depth most time 130 feet all though done few to 150 .

I am shooting the Canon HG-21 (discontinued) in Ikelite housing. I have the Ikelite 100w light system but don't use it much. I just added the WA port and internal Raynox HD WA lens. Very happy with all of it.

If I were to get another system, I would stick with Canon on the camcorder, and Ikelite on the housing. They fit my budget and I am very impressed with quality and color I can get with the Canon in all light situations. I don't know what is currently the best Canon camcorder on the market, but I am sure they have something comparable to what I currently own.

robin:D

wow so many choices too bad none puts a package deal together with cam and housing lol make life easier . seems most recommend Sony or cannon either be fine to me.

Actually most resellers do put together package deals.

http://www.backscatter.com/underwater/video/package deals.lasso
Video Packages - Ready to Dive Packages - H2O Photo Pros - store
Complete Video Packages : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Contact any of these people for custom packages also. My dealer is Mike Luzansky at [user]H20 Photo pros[/user] - he spent about 1/2 hr. one day explaining my options and making recommendations. Or contact Ryan or Richard at Reef - Richard helped my buddy with his lighting configuration last week.
just needs to be rugged as the seas in NC can be rough at time typical seas 2-6 ft with some currents , long ride times typically hr , viability 20-100 feet . my max depth most time 130 feet all though done few to 150
To me that suggests a metal housing. I can just about stand on my EVO - it's really solid. It's been on every dive trip since 2006 with no problems. The most likely thing to get damaged during transport is the port so provide some sort of protection for it.

I have used the HELL out of my ikelite HV30 housing, had it to 220', and on some pretty rough days.....holds up just fine.
Only problem is that even though ikelite likes to tell you that you have access to all the camera controls, you really don't after you pass about 60'......some controls..at least on my housing require you to slide the control shaft in and out of the housing...and you just can't control them with that much pressure pushing them all into the housing.
Of major concern is that the white balance is completly inaccessable because of the shaft problem + menus to access it on most prosumer cameras.
Anyone have a $1000 or less HD camera that has a WB BUTTON or are they all on menus?
I just fix it all in editing ($+time), and it works just fine, but you might want to think about whether you want manual or electronic (easy) controls.
.....correct me if i'm wrong....but I beleive that in order to have electronic controls, you will have to go with a Sony Camera.

Anyone have a $1000 or less HD camera that has a WB BUTTON or are they all on menus?
Was there ever one? (HD) The only one I can think of is the Sony HVRA1U and it's around $2K.
.....correct me if i'm wrong....but I beleive that in order to have electronic controls, you will have to go with a Sony Camera.
L&M now supports the following Canon models in both the Bluefin(Pro) and Stingray G2:
Canon HD S10, S11, S20, S21, S200 Camcorders

Thanks Diversteve! It's about time someone started doing electronic controls for Canon cameras.
And ...No I don't think anyone has ever made a sub 2k camera with a WB button:banghead:
I would love to have one on my Hv30 but I manage pretty well anyway for the $ I have in the Rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom