which video camcorder and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks easy to use, and I love the monitor back. I could not tell what lens was mounted, You should make sure it is a wide angle lens, otherwise, get it changed.

It kind of depends on what housing they're selling you. From their pictures/descriptions I really couldn't tell. The first picture seems to show the new G2 housing with the right control handle only. So it appears Submerge is selling what they call the "Universal" model elsewhere - flat port, one handle, monitor back included.

The G2 only comes with a flat port standard. As referenced on the new L&M website - under construction. LIGHT & MOTION || Stingray G2 Housing

But the expanded picture on the Submerge site shows it with the optional left handle and a port. My guess would be that they just copied it from L&M.

There are also two left handles, one at $599 that controls camera menu functions and their optional lights - and 1 at $129 that's just a plain handle - for balance or two handed work. The $599 handle also lets you take photos without having to switch to photo mode on the right handle afaik. To have menu access that can be seen on the LCD monitor might be sweet - depending on what you can change/control with it - I have no idea.

L&M sells the G2 through Shopatron on their website for $1999 - list price.
The wetport is $579
The left control handle is $599
The left blank handle is $129.
Light & Motion (uwimaging.com) - Stingray G2

The camera sells street price for $1298 - Amazon and elsewhere. btw, for $1298, B&H gives you a free battery with the camera - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671562-REG/Sony_HDR_XR550V_HDR_XR550V_240GB_HD_Handycam.html

So at $3418 for the r/h only housing and camera they're $121 too high. If they're including the blank handle it's a wash. If they're including either the left control handle or the wetport it's a pretty good deal.

I'm also not certain if the wetport works on the Stingray or is only for the standard Bluefin as it's installed on a Bluefin in this photo: Light & Motion (uwimaging.com) - 65 Degree Fathom Wetmate Lens So maybe that was an assumption on my part that it's also a Stingray G2 option.

Submerge seems to just be requoting L&M and Sony's websites in their features/description sections. And using photos off the L&M site also. So it's very difficult to tell what you're getting.

So get a really detailed quote b4 you buy it.

Last edited:
I bought the CX550V and am quite pleased with the topside video it takes, but have not yet taken it underwater. I read reviews that said it had LANC control through the 10-pin port, but this proved to be untrue so I couldn't use it in my Top Dawg housing.

I'm looking to buy the Stingray G2 housing for it in the next month or so. My understanding is that the G2 now comes with the left non-control handle (based on feedback from one of their reps).

I've been an underwater video pro for some years now. I always use a Gates. I would never buy anything else. Manual controls means they won't break. I have colleagues who have electronic housings who spend a lot of time out of the water while their housings are being expensively freighted back to the manufacturers for repair.

I've been using the same Gates housing for 4 years now, never serviced it, just changes the main 0-ring after about two years. The Sony HDR HC1 fits inside.

One thing to note, and I cannot stress this enough, when you're choosing an underwater video package, MAKE CERTAIN you can access the manual white balance control. Otherwise, you'll be wasting your money.

If I had a $1 for every time I'd seen an Ikelite flood, I'd have about $10 by now.

I'm not spamming here, like I said, I've been a video pro for many years and it's also one of my teaching specialties. I wrote an article for a blog all about underwater video, choosing housings, getting good shots, manual white balance etc. The article is here...

Underwater Videography Tips: A guide to underwater videography | Scuba Diving Phuket

I hope you'll find this article helpful. You can PM me with any questions or reply here and I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom