Which VIP course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all.

I have been reading the thread on the cracked thread/tool marks and got to thinking about taking a visual inspection course. I only have 8 tanks at the moment and that seems to me to be about the minimum number to kind of break even with doing my own inspections.

Anyway, I've done some research and I guess there are two courses that are generally talked about, PSI/PCI and SDI/TDI. It looks like the SDI/TDI course is more available.

If I get to choose between the two courses, is there a benefit to one over the other? Cost wise, how do they compare? Are they both accepted or is one better than the other for sport diving? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

With any course it depends on the instructor. As you are in FL if DEMA is live this fall there should be opportunities for both courses.

Don't think I'll make DEMA but who knows. Instructors ALWAYS make the difference but I was wondering if one course was more widely accepted when I walk into a shop with my home VIPd tanks. Is PSI going to get turned away or are they as accepted as SDI or vice versa? Just didn't know if there was benefit to one over the other in the real world.

Can you take the PSI/PCI course if not sponsored by a store?

Is PSI going to get turned away or are they as accepted as SDI or vice versa? Just didn't know if there was benefit to one over the other in the real world.

PSI/PCI is the original agency that started it all about 40 years ago and it is very well recognized. I don't know how widely recognized the SDI program is but I doubt that it will be rejected since the "SDI/TDI" name is very well recognized especially in the US.

Morning all.

I have been reading the thread on the cracked thread/tool marks and got to thinking about taking a visual inspection course. I only have 8 tanks at the moment and that seems to me to be about the minimum number to kind of break even with doing my own inspections.

Anyway, I've done some research and I guess there are two courses that are generally talked about, PSI/PCI and SDI/TDI. It looks like the SDI/TDI course is more available.

If I get to choose between the two courses, is there a benefit to one over the other? Cost wise, how do they compare? Are they both accepted or is one better than the other for sport diving? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

You need to check if the dive shops you patronize will fill tanks inspected by individuals, not dive shops, and what their requirements are. Some will, some won’t.

I took the SDI course a couple years ago. At the time, there were no PSI courses being offered near me. I did the eLearning (I personally prefer eLearning over in class) that they offered with the 1 day review and tank inspection practice.

I can't compare courses not having taken the PSI course. My choice was totally for local availability. I suspect they are similar with the quality of the instructor being more important than the agency. My instructor for the hands on was pretty good.

All the courses I have seen for both agencies are just over $300. I think SDI prices are set by the shop/instructor so there is some variation there. PSI has a refresher course for about $100 less than the original course. I haven't seen refreshers advertised for SDI courses, but individual shops may offer a lower rate to refresh.

I have not had a problem getting my tanks filled, but I mostly filled them at the shop where I took the VIP course. The few times I have had them filled elsewhere in Southern California my VIP stickers have never been questioned when checked before the fill and the shops I got fills from always did look for a current hydro and VIP sticker.

PSI has a lot of resources available even if you don't take their course. There is an online app you can use to document your inspections. They have some good videos to watch. You can download inspection forms. You can buy their VIP stickers and use them even as an SDI trained inspector. They have a lot of tools for purchase.

In the last year, PSI has started offering virtual classes. Cost is about the same as in person class, but I think you do have to have your own tools and a tank to inspect. The only virtual SDI course I have heard of is offered by DRIS and it's a lot more expensive, but they actually ship you a tank to inspect for the course.

I just took the PSI virtual course and it was super informative. I feel prepared enough to VIP my tanks with confidence. Remember to factor in the cost of any tools to perform a proper inspection if you’re wanting to truly break even before you jump into a class. If a shop gave me a hard no about VIP’ing my own tanks without at least discussing it with me.. well, I’d go somewhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom