Which wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear47

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to switch to a bp/w set up but was having trouble picking a wing. Most of my divng is on the jersey shore but i switch often from doubles to singles. i mostly use al-80s. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions?

As has been stated many times before, there is no optimal way to have one wing that can do singles and doubles.
Get 2 wings, each with the smallest capacity that will support the rig on the surface.

When I switched to a BP/W I got a 60 lb U wing to do both..............

Not a good plan, while I was able to dive a single LP95 with the wing it was not easy, I had to go vertical and squirm around to get all the air out of the wing......

Works great for double LP85's............

I ended up with a 36 lb wing for my singles rig...........

One-size-fits-all is not the optimal way to go, in my opinion.......

Hope this helps.........M

Listen to these guys. There is no wing for switching between doubles and singles. Any wing that claims to be able to do this is a piece of junk.

What are you using to dive doubles now if you don't have a bp/w?

Why do you switch between doubles and singles often? My advice is that if you want to only purchase one wing, dive doubles all the time. If you're diving double al 80s they aren't that heavy and you can do anything that you can do with a single tank.

In my opinion wings are mostly pretty much the same. Just stay away from double bladders, more than 1 inflator, and bands and you will be fine.

For wings I suggest a Halcyon in the 30lb range. anything larger it way to big for al-80

This is a good one, but a little pricey. I use it and love it.

You can definitely save some money by avoiding the blue H, but this was the wing that my LDS carried.

Dive Rite Trek Wing (45lbs) can be used for both single and double aluminum 80s.....I think it's too big for a single tank wing, but I have successfully used it for both types of setups and didn't have any problems

I switch often between singles and doubles, because I don't dive doubles in places with difficult shore entries, and I prefer to dive single tanks off my boat. But I have two different wings.

I switch often between singles and doubles, because I don't dive doubles in places with difficult shore entries, and I prefer to dive single tanks off my boat. But I have two different wings.

This is what I was lookinf for with my question. As far as I can tell, the main reason for the switch would be weight, whether your stumbling over rocks or climbing into a boat. For me the weight of double al 80s isn't much to contend with, but double steel tanks for a shore dive would be a no go.

Since the OP seemed to be looking to purchase only one wing, my ideal solution would be to get a wing in th 45 - 50 pound range and only dive double al 80s.

As many already said you won't find a wing good for doubles and singles, for singles 30 lbs is more than enough, specially with AL80 in salt water, for doubles it depends on your configuration, other equipment and so on, but for most 40 to 45 lbs will do.

The reasons why 2 wings I could point out as...

1 - Using a 30 lbs with doubles the problem is pretty obvious, unless it is a AL80s double, it won't give you enough lift.

2 - Using doubles wing with singles, I see two problems, which are in fact conected, first, with a wing too big there is two much of the wing free, generating more drag, and in overhead invironment, specially in wrecks, can make a mess. The other is a consequense of the first, when you inflate the air tends to get trapped in the upper curve and it is dificult to vent, causing a lot of trouble to control ascent.

My configuration is 30 lbs for singles, 40 lbs for small doubles (up to steel 95s more or less) in salt water and 60 lbs for heavy doubles, heavy gear, specially in fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom