Which wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypertech

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm currently diving an Oceanic Excursion with a Bare Trilam drysuit and a super thick undergarment. With a HP100 steel tank, I need 30-34 pounds of lead in fresh water. I'll be soon moving to the coast where I'll have a chance to dive more saltwater. I'm not sure what local diving is available there, but I'd assume I'll still be in the drysuit with pretty thick undergarments.

If I were to switch over to a BP/W, how would I determine which wing is best for me?

I'm currently diving an Oceanic Excursion with a Bare Trilam drysuit and a super thick undergarment. With a HP100 steel tank, I need 30-34 pounds of lead in fresh water. I'll be soon moving to the coast where I'll have a chance to dive more saltwater. I'm not sure what local diving is available there, but I'd assume I'll still be in the drysuit with pretty thick undergarments.

If I were to switch over to a BP/W, how would I determine which wing is best for me?

HyperTech,

I need more info.

When you used 34 lbs of lead what were you using for a BC and cylinder?

How tall are you and what is your approximate weight?

Tobin

I was using the Oceanic Excursion BC and the HP100 steel tank. I'm about 6'1" and 235.

I was using the Oceanic Excursion BC and the HP100 steel tank. I'm about 6'1" and 235.

If you had a HP 100, a reg and 34 lbs of lead you were using about 38 lbs of total ballast.

Of that 38 lbs about 4 are required to sink your BC. That leaves about 34 to sink your exposure suit.

That's on the upper end, particularly for fresh water. I'd guess you are a bit overweighted. Maybe not, but I bet you could find 4-6 lbs to leave at home. :wink:

At 6'1" I'd suggest a large plate.

A Torus 35 wing is a reasonable choice. It has the lift you need and it offers a bit more lift at your hips. Even with a SS plate, Steel cylinder and possibly our weight plates you will need a significant weight belt. 10-12 lbs. is a place to start.

Recap:

Large SS plate
Hogarthian Harness
Torus 35
(cambands and wedge blocks are included)

Optional 8.1 lbs bolt on weight plates

Tobin

I'm still relatively new to the drysuit with this undergarment so you are probably right about still being a little overweighted. When I was out diving yesterday, I had 36 pounds on and it was too much. When I switched to the thick undergarment, I could barely cram enough weight in my BC to get me down so I've added a weight belt. I'd like to get more lead off especially as I head to saltwater, and that's my main motivation for looking at the BP/W.

I'm not small, but I'm not a real big guy either - waist is 38. I took about 24 pounds in fresh with a 8-6-5 suit and 22 pounds in salt with a 3mm.

I was thinking about the pro fit harness.

What is the advantage of the Taurus wing over the LCD 30 or 40?

I'm still relatively new to the drysuit with this undergarment so you are probably right about still being a little overweighted. When I was out diving yesterday, I had 36 pounds on and it was too much. When I switched to the thick undergarment, I could barely cram enough weight in my BC to get me down so I've added a weight belt. I'd like to get more lead off especially as I head to saltwater, and that's my main motivation for looking at the BP/W.

I'm not small, but I'm not a real big guy either - waist is 38. I took about 24 pounds in fresh with a 8-6-5 suit and 22 pounds in salt with a 3mm.

I was thinking about the pro fit harness.

What is the advantage of the Taurus wing over the LCD 30 or 40?

My advice is stick to the Hog harness. Just a bit of set up and practice, but most end up with a hog harness in the long run.

Torus vs LCD? Basically they dive the same. I recommend the Torus 35 because it offers the lift you need and it's shaped to provide a bit more lift at your hips. That's useful if you have a significant weight belt.

Tobin

hypertech,

I, too, thought about the Pro-Fit since it basically looks easier to deal with.

Now that I've dived my BP/W with the Hog harness, I am very happy with my choice. It was ridiculously easy to set up and very comfortable diving in, even without any wetsuit.
DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom